Options

what to focus on ?

peter_797peter_797 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey ppls i became A+ certified a couple weeks ago and i'm studying for the Net + now .Any tips on what i should or shouldn't focus on.I'm really trying to pass on my first try :D
The early bird might get the worm but the second rat always gets the cheese!

Comments

• Options
    raiedraied Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can check the N+ objective's on CompTia's site.

http://www.comptia.org/certification/Network/objectives.aspx

Make sure you purchase a good book, I went with Sybex as my only resource and passed on the first try.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I already got the sybex net + book and i'm using the tech notes on this site ,i was really looking for the topics i should focus on for the exam.
    thanks for the info anyway:)
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I also picked up the Sybex book.... I just finished reading it. Not a bad book IMO but I did spot a couple errors here and there. Nothing major though.

Took me about a week to go through the book in my free time and I have been taking any practice tests I can find.... I already can do the tests that came with the CD with the book 100% and the tests on this site and mcmcse.com.

I feel I'm ready but what stinks is that I have to wait until I get my finances in order (about 2 weeks) before taking the test.... Until then, I will be re-reading what I consider to be my weaker areas.

The biggest advice I can tell you is to read the book pretty much cover to cover, highlight and take notes. Take all the practice tests possible.

I know it doesnt sound helpful but you need to be able to cover all the topics discussed to be ready for anything they might throw at you.

I know I need to still memorize some things... A few port numbers still to learn, the different distances and connections for different fiber and from what I understand, it is really important to know the TCP/IP utilities and their switches.

Good luck!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    peter_797 wrote:
    I already got the sybex net + book and i'm using the tech notes on this site ,i was really looking for the topics i should focus on for the exam.
    The link raied posted contains all the topics you need to focus on. Those are the official exam objectives and you will need to study them all.
  • Options
    I'm almost finished reading the sybex book and i'm still a little unclear about certain things and to make things worse i'm not in and around networking components .In short i have no toys to play with icon_sad.gif

I think if you're crushing the practice exams megadeth you'll have no problem with the real thing.The wait can be so painful don't u think?Thanks for all the info guys .I very much appreciate it.
  • Options
    The wait is painful icon_sad.gif

I want to take the test now but I won't be able to afford it for a couple weeks. icon_sad.gif

I need to rephrase what I said earlier about getting 100% on all the tests I'm taking... There are 2 Bonus tests taht are on teh CD that comes with the Sybex book.... I'm scoring in the high 80's with those, but everytime I miss something I go back and look at why.... I just started trying those ones last night....

Anyway, what is it that you unclear on? Maybe we can help.

As far as the networking equipment goes... I would ahve to say that while configuring routers/switches ect, is good hands on learning I don't think you need to for the net+. The net+ should be passable with self-study/reading and an aptitude for networking concepts.

I think the Cisco Certs are where is will be more crucial for you be able to do hands on labs with networking equipment.
  • Options
    I'm mainly having probs with the OSI model but i'm getting the hang of it .......more or less :) My biggest problem is reading the bloody book ........not very fond of sitting and reading for hours so i try to do it a chapter at a time.My data processor just doesn't function as it use to..lol

I'm extremely inexperienced in networking but then again i was also very inexperienced when i did the A+ exams.The exams are expensive so i don't want to waste the oppotunity.I've aquired a lot of notes on various topics both online and on my own but i'd be grateful for any tips on studying or notes that u may have.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would start to memorized the ports. Get that down and then you will be better off. As you do that, try to memorize what each means if you dont know what they are? I mean port 21, FTP. if you dont know FTP, read about it and then you will be well off when reading through the books.
  • Options
    Ah yes the OSI Model.... Well, you will be running into this a lot! I can tell you that hands on e lab experience with networking equipment doesnt do much as far as teaching the OSI Model.

The OSI model is just that... A model... I guess the easiest way to look at is that it is just a way to explain how data is moved across the network.

Each layer has it's own responsibilities.

You might know this one:

All - Application
    People - Presentation
    Seem - Session
    To - Transport
    Need - Network
    Data - Data Link
    Processing - Physical

Here is another one:
    Think Sun screen like SPF 45....

S - Segments (transport layer)
    P - Packets (Network layer)
    F - Frames (Data Link)
    Burn - Bits (Physical Layer)

SPF Burn has stuck in my head since my Cisco Classes 6 years ago. I had 4 semesters of Cisco 6 years ago but have not used that knowledge... I recently have been inspired to get back into this stuff.... So I didnt come in here with no knowledge of networking. I can understand how the OSI model is hard to grasp for you.... I still have trouble with parts of it.

I'll have to see if I can find a good model that shows you the different layers broken down and what they are responsible for.
  • Options
    philbrewerphilbrewer Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□