Options

Should I skip S+

I'm reading the book now but wonder since I am already in the field, should I skip the test and focus on higher level Security related certs. I currently am working as an Information Security Analyst.

--Thanks
Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005

Comments

• Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that really depends on whether in the future you want to work for the gov or not, as the S+ is a requisite.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Should you or shouldn't you is subjective. Considering the time already invested and ROI and keyword searches with bad HR activities, i would do what seperates you from other candidates but not leave you at a disadvantage.

So..I would get it out of generic principle that its not always because you want the cert but because your field may expect it.
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have the years of experience required, I personally think your time would be better spent studying for CISSP. However any/all security knowledge will help, so Security+ isn't a waste or anything. If you didn't already have a security job and just wanted something quick to add to your resume I'd say Security+ is a nice thing to add to get your foot in the door. Personally, I've never felt that not having Security+ has held me back, but I can't speak to what the Gov't requirements are that yzT mentioned.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you've already got the experience and knowledge like others have said studying the information never hurts, but CISSP would be a better route all around. CISSP also exceeds the Sec+ for the government jobs, so no worry there if you go that route. Also SSCP is about the same level and would prepare you more for the CISSP later on.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I wouldn't bother. It would require time and energy better spent on higher certification.
  • Options
    smokeyaliensmokeyalien Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have the experience then studying for the Security+ shouldn't take longer than a week. If your employer will pay for the test then take it. If you are paying out of pocket and can take a higher level cert within a short time frame such as 6 months or less then go that route instead. If you fall in between those options then you need to decide on the ROI and timeframe. Low hanging fruit like the Security+ can get you interviews even if the respect for the cert isn't high in the industry. I have the CISSP and Sec+ and I maintain the CEUs and annual fee for CompTIA just to keep the cert on my resume.
    "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
    - Mitch Radcliffe
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wouldn't skip it unless you can pass CISSP within a few months. Also with that being said that's assuming you have the experience to be fully endorsed...if you will just be an associate you will be better off in the short term with security+ or SSCP. It would be a better representation of your level.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Sorry to hijack thread but, would CEH or CCNA Sec cover the basics/minimum requirements for government work?
    meh
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Google 8570...it depends on the level.

CEH would work for Incident Responder but you are most likely going to be required to get at least the Security+. CCNA:Security covers IAT level I and II....but Security+ covers those plus IAM I.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like the idea of having a solid foundation and redundancy, but it may seem remedial if you're already in the position. I would do it again as it will hopefully help me as I continue to pursue higher level certs.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 Lord Sevink, but it's ultimately up to the OP.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Ty for the info, found a nice chart explaining stuff. Thanks
    meh
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Thanks all, since I started it I'm going to finish it. I do not have have enough experience for CISSP yet so I think I will do SSCP after S+.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005