Options

Is my salary expectation is reasonable?

TechWazeTechWaze Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all!

Recently had a great interview out of the blue with a top government contracting company. When I was asked about salary, I stated mid 60's as I make mid 50's now. They wanted to know if I would take less for the position and I held firm. So now I'm wondering if it was too high. I was just hoping a few kind souls would tell me if my desired salary is reasonable..

-My career experience in the IT field is 3 years (since graduation), I also interned while in school for 3 years before that
-BS in Information Systems
-I live in the DC Metro Area
-Attending grad school in DC
-I have a clearance
-Received offer from another agency a year ago for the amount I'm requesting today

Now, this position is in cyber security and its slightly different from what I've been doing, but they believed I had more than the necessary skills to do the job. I have skills in a lot of areas due to the fact that at my current job we do not practice the silo mentality. I work for a fortune 500 that has a contract with the govt and we work in a small remote site supporting that. Therefore, we all have to do each other's job at some point. The reason I'm asking is because I have another interview lined up next week, and I don't want to price myself out of an offer. Thank you in advance!

edit: please forgive the typos in the title and message, typing this on a tablet icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Long story short if you feel that is what you are worth and you have the skills and experience to back it up then stick to your guns and keep going forward.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Depends on the contract honestly. I've seen contract companies bid so low on certain contracts that they (claim) they can't afford to pay people more than x amount. There's really no way of knowing what they could pay, but I will say that it seems extremely reasonable to me. Sometime jobs aren't meant to work out. Sometimes a contract company will learn the hard way that they need to pay for good people.
  • Options
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Long story short if you feel that is what you are worth and you have the skills and experience to back it up then stick to your guns and keep going forward.

Thanks, I feel I am worth it.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    In the DC Metro area, 60K or so seems reasonable to me but you are a better judge of your skills. Have you thought about certifying your skills?
  • Options
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    Depends on the contract honestly. I've seen contract companies bid so low on certain contracts that they (claim) they can't afford to pay people more than x amount. There's really no way of knowing what they could pay, but I will say that it seems extremely reasonable to me. Sometime jobs aren't meant to work out. Sometimes a contract company will learn the hard way that they need to pay for good people.
    Thank you for your response! Well, I asked him about this actually and he said their site isn't supported by a contract. I believe they lost a resource and they need help.
  • Options
    @nster I have, but I'm currently two classes away from earning my masters. All my focus has been on that lately...I do have plans though. Thanks for your response!
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Out of curiosity,what is your Masters in?
  • Options
    nster wrote: »
    Out of curiosity,what is your Masters in?

Comp Sci
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Unfortunately lately the government has been issuing so many contracts to the lowest bidder that salaries in contracting are collapsing. I was on a contract where everyone was making 80's and 90's, and after the rebid the new company came in and offered mid 50's. I think that it is reasonable for you to expect more than even the mid 60's, but I'm not surprised to hear that companies are offering crazy low balls.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Unfortunately lately the government has been issuing so many contracts to the lowest bidder that salaries in contracting are collapsing. I was on a contract where everyone was making 80's and 90's, and after the rebid the new company came in and offered mid 50's. I think that it is reasonable for you to expect more than even the mid 60's, but I'm not surprised to hear that companies are offering crazy low balls.

and Gov't wonder why they are always getting hacked.... you don't pay workers they don't want to work....
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Security in DC with 3-6 years experience, clearance and almost done your MS, stick to your salary requirements.
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you for your responses! I will stick to this expectation. If I get this position, I will start thinking about the Security+ during the summer. Thanks again!
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Stick to your requirements. People are correct about lowbid contracts with the govt. Help Desk Technicians working in the pentagon are making 15 an hour. LOL. And these guys don't know how to do an IPCONFIG.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I worked is DC for a number of years and I would say, mid 60's is low, I do know that the way they award contracts has changed since I retired from the Army when I was in Washington, but still if your qualifications are what you say they are, mid 60's sounds low.

Of course my salary was set by Congress and was set at my rank and years in, but I had contractors working for me, that were upper 70's to low 90's that didn't have the experience you have listed.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    Stick to your requirements. People are correct about lowbid contracts with the govt. Help Desk Technicians working in the pentagon are making 15 an hour. LOL. And these guys don't know how to do an IPCONFIG.

LOL at guys working at the pentagon who don't know how to do IPCONFIG
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say around 2005-2010, there was a hefty amount of contracts based on 'Best Value', which meant the Government entity could look at past performance, future potential and award a contract to who they felt could exceed the technical requirements. This gave away for some really bloated contracts and allowed some people to make a substantial amount more than what there civilian counterpart would make for the same skills and experience. To offset this trend most contracts now are 'lowest cost technically acceptable' which means if the company can prove they can meet the minimal requirements and place a bid (usually significantly lower then the previous employer (incumbent), they would automatically win the contract. This of course has had the opposite effect and forced quality employees out of the contract position because the company that won the contract still has a profit threshold that must be maintained.

I would ask what their overall compensation is, sometimes it is easier for the company to offer more vacation/sick days than an increase of salary.. just pointing out there is other ways to up your quality of life besides pay.
  • Options
    k3rberosk3rberos Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you think you're worth mid 60s, then stick with it. Don't settle.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What is the exact title? You would be surprised but titles make a huge difference.

With that being said in the DC area I can't imagine $60k being a shocking number, on the high end anyways.
  • Options
    @SephStorm Hey, don't feel too bad. I've watched many people apply and get callbacks over me for a long time. I've submitted over 20 or so apps to this particular company and it always felt like a black hole. I've been to countless career fairs with a promise of being contacted to no avail. To get a call from them out of the blue like this was truly surprising....so I understand.
  • Options
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    I worked is DC for a number of years and I would say, mid 60's is low, I do know that the way they award contracts has changed since I retired from the Army when I was in Washington, but still if your qualifications are what you say they are, mid 60's sounds low.

Of course my salary was set by Congress and was set at my rank and years in, but I had contractors working for me, that were upper 70's to low 90's that didn't have the experience you have listed.

Hey! Thanks so much for your input! I thought it was kind of low as well...I priced myself there because I don't have a lot of direct cyber security experience. Also, regardless of my skills, it seems employers only count my career experience and that's only three years...they don't seem to be interested in any of my intern work.
  • Options
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    I would say around 2005-2010, there was a hefty amount of contracts based on 'Best Value', which meant the Government entity could look at past performance, future potential and award a contract to who they felt could exceed the technical requirements. This gave away for some really bloated contracts and allowed some people to make a substantial amount more than what there civilian counterpart would make for the same skills and experience. To offset this trend most contracts now are 'lowest cost technically acceptable' which means if the company can prove they can meet the minimal requirements and place a bid (usually significantly lower then the previous employer (incumbent), they would automatically win the contract. This of course has had the opposite effect and forced quality employees out of the contract position because the company that won the contract still has a profit threshold that must be maintained.

I would ask what their overall compensation is, sometimes it is easier for the company to offer more vacation/sick days than an increase of salary.. just pointing out there is other ways to up your quality of life besides pay.

Thanks! That's true. I will give this some thought if they call back with an offer. FYI, He did tell me that this position was not contract based.
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    What is the exact title? You would be surprised but titles make a huge difference.

With that being said in the DC area I can't imagine $60k being a shocking number, on the high end anyways.

I believe its a cyber security analyst. I didn't apply, I just got a call and was told they found my resume on file and they thought I would be a good fit in their cyber security center. Even the emails don't include the position. I didn't think it was shocking either, I thought it was a good number...so I was surprised when he asked if I would be willing to accept less. Location alone should be worth about that much IMO. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't talking crazy numbers. Thanks!!

Thank you again to everyone else who gave their input. It means a lot!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It can depend on what contractor too...smaller ones tend to pay less. Analyst positions tend to pay less than Engineer titles but if it is much less than 60ish it sounds like more of a glorified help desk or tech support position.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    SephStorm wrote: »
    And I can't even get a call back from those companies.

I'd say it's because they know you'd cost way more than they are wanting to pay.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I dont see anything outrageous in your request. Just keep at it man, good luck.
    meh
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Without seeing your resume we cannot determine how much your actually worth. I have friends who just graduated and are in the DC area making 75k + in the security field (Cyber security analyst for the Pentagon). I made six figures my second year. With your skills and experience should not go below 70k in the DC region.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    and Gov't wonder why they are always getting hacked.... you don't pay workers they don't want to work....

This ^^^
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    It's not the government's fault at all. It's the greedy contracting companies taking so much off the top. the government spends a lot of money on contracts and honestly they should just go directly to the big guys instead of going through the middle man to get things done.
  • Options
    higherho wrote: »
    Without seeing your resume we cannot determine how much your actually worth. I have friends who just graduated and are in the DC area making 75k + in the security field (Cyber security analyst for the Pentagon). I made six figures my second year. With your skills and experience should not go below 70k in the DC region.

Thanks for your response! You have friends who just graduated and are making 75k? Would this be as a contractor? It seems kind of high for a regular employee straight out of college. My current job started off as an entry-level position with the company who has the contract. My company isn't really known as a govt contracting company, they are more known for financial services, but they've had this particular contract for a lonnnng time.

So while I technically work on a contract, I am an employee. We do work with a few contractors who are making good money because they don't have the benefits...

Also, It seems like every agency or company that I speak to, strictly goes on years of experience. Therefore, I priced myself around here...