Options

Is it appropriate to post my resume and ask for a peer critique?

red.roadsterred.roadster Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been a lurker on this board for a few years and I ask this question because, while I see a few folks asking for a critique, I don't see very many.

I graduate from WGU with a BS-IT Security in the next two months. I am about to apply for jobs and would like input on how I have arranged and presented my experience, but am not interested in abusing the generosity of those who have the experience and background to critique my resume and cover letter.

Would it be better to private message those who's posts and background seem to be in line with what I'd like to do?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can post your resume but remove your private information. Don't PM people with your resume unless they ask you send it to them. This is why the forum is for, so everyone can help when others cannot.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The search feature is also a great resource. There are many good resume critiques, examples, and templates in past threads.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    red.roadsterred.roadster Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input. I have been combing the forum and looking for examples; it's been very useful.

My background is largely in management and business development, but I started out in technology and got promoted and moved away from it. I have kept one foot in for most of the last 18 years, but it has been as support for departments I managed, or in some cases for a company that was too small to support a full time IT staff. I continued to like IT enough that I went back to school for it a few years ago. I am in a position that I don't need much money to keep life together, and really just want to get more experience.

My concern is that I want to highlight my experience in IT without leading potential employers to think that that is all I've been doing for the last 18 years. The examples I've read through have led me to believe I should use the limited page space to list only my IT related experience, and frankly, having hired over 100 people over the last 15 years, I would be very suspicious of a resume that listed 18 years of help desk support.

Anyone suggest listing the non-IT related experience?

Thank you in advance for your insight.