Options

Your input on my resume would be much appreciated

red.roadsterred.roadster Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Thanks for the input. I have been combing the forum and looking for examples; it's been very useful.

I realize I may need to improve the formatting on this, but the gist of the information I am trying to convey is in this.

My background is largely in management and business development, but I started out in technology and got promoted and moved away from it. I have kept one foot in for most of the last 18 years, but it has been as support for departments I managed, or in some cases for a company that was too small to support a full time IT staff. I continued to like IT enough that I went back to school for it a few years ago. I am in a position that I don't need much money to keep life and family together, and really just want to get more experience in a larger IT environment. Most of what I do now involves supporting small (5 to 15 person) offices doing break/fix and network design/install/troubleshooting. For most of these clients a high end network would be a Cisco 1941 router running an IOS firewall and a few WAPs tied into it by way of a 16 port switch.

My concern is that I want to highlight my experience in IT without leading potential employers to think that that is all I've been doing for the last 18 years. The examples I've read through have led me to believe I should use the limited page space to list only my IT related experience, but frankly, having hired over 100 people over the last 15 years, I would be very suspicious of a resume that listed 18 years of help desk support.

Anyone suggest listing the non-IT related experience?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zypdxhviqchtv06/ResumePersonalInfoRemoved.pdf?dl=0

Comments

• Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only had a moment to look, so here is my quick response. Not really related to the resume, but I would remove personal information from it for the purposes of review on this forum. The main thing that stood out to me was listing your work history from oldest to newest. I always start with the most recent job, and then go backwards, so it I would change that. Sorry, I know it's short, and I hope to look again, but that's my quick answer.
  • Options
    Thanks! I thought I had put blocks over all the personal info.

Better go have a look.

I think you are right on the work history. I'll go change that.
  • Options
    dannykydannyky Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would remove the first bullet point, seems redundant. Looks good overall with the work history date change. Can you make it fit into one page?
  • Options
    Good suggestions. Made the changes. Don't think I can get it onto one page though.