Options

Volunteer work

ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been told to volunteer my IT skills to some organization, to get more experience for my job hunting.

Have any of you ever done this? If so, whom should I contact for something like this?
I checked around my area, but all volunteer work anyone wants, is more towards actual charity type things. (i.e. food bank, Lord's diner, working on houses, helping homeless people, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The economy is so bad in my part of town, I can't even get a volunteer position. But if you have the opportunity, you should jump on it

Good luck
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Christian.Christian. Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The US is really big, wouldn't it be better to consider relocating to a bigger city with paying jobs?
    CISSP | CCSM | CCSE | CCSA | CCNA Sec | CCNA | CCENT | Security+ | Linux+ | Project+ | A+ | LPIC1
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Look at volunteer match.com this is the best site I have found for folks wanting to volunteer.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I did volunteering with a non profit that sells refurbished computers for a small price to low income families. It helped me learn hardware since it was a lot of cleaning, assembling, and removing parts.

I always point people toward non profits since they are almost always under staffed and are willing to train you to get free work from you. There are opportunities at local libraries to teach the elderly how to use computers and email. It's not super complex, but its a start.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LinkedIn For Good; match.com; local libraries.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown