Options

Arrogant hiring manager

KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm trying to get back into IT after a switch to sales several years ago and I am always hearing about people applying for things like help desk, noc tech, desktop support, etc. So I was perusing a job board today and found a NOC tech job in my area. I fired off my resume, and no less than an hour later I got a call from an out of state number I didn't recognize that belonged to a recruiter asking about my interest in the job. She was super nice and I told her my background story and she said she would forward my resume to the local office in my area. About an hour later I get a call from a manager in the local office who was immediately dismissive of my intentions for the job. He asked me about my previous work experience and then told me that he didn't think I was quite "up to the level" of the job requirements. He told me he'd consider me if any other positions came up that were a match for my skills, but in the meantime "work to get your CCNA." I told him I had Network+ and A+ and 4 MTAs, but he just kind of shrugged it off like "that's nice." like those certs didn't even matter.

I was pretty happy after speaking to the first woman on the phone, she was really friendly and professional. I felt like I had a good chance at getting in, but then the second guy just completely pulled the rug out from under me. His tone was really arrogant in a way I can't quite convey but it was just like borderline condescension if that makes sense.

So is that right? You have to have a minimum of a CCNA to qualify for a NOC tech? This guy made me feel like any cert below that was basically a waste of time. Does anyone else have any experience with dealing with guys like this? I'm actively working on Security+ right now. After that I'm torn between either going for CEH or possibly MCSA or maybe a CCNA but that's probably still a year off. What do I do in the meantime?

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    He's actually kind of right. There's no point in spending time on N+ if you're capable of passing CCNA.

I think there's actually an entire discussion to be had on the value of (non employer paid for) CompTIA certifications period.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    You need a thicker skin. You cannot take it personally. I have been rejected by numerous companies. You simply move on to the next one. And the next one and the next one.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    To him CCNA is the baseline. Can't get mad at him for that as everyone is entitled to establish whatever criteria he wants for his hires. Others may consider Network+ or CCNP as the baseline but that is irrelevant as his opinion is all that matters.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    meh, Network+ is extremely basic networking and your other certs don't really help for a NOC position... Sorry, not seeing the issue here. Maybe the only problem is the recruiter sent your resume to a position you weren't qualified for? The manager probably wanted someone with more networking knowledge.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Network+ is below his idea of entry level (CCENT/CCNA). Keep working towards certification and more calls will come.
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the above. Look at it as constructive criticism. That guy didn't even have to call you once he saw you didn't meet his or the company's criteria for the position, instead he saw that you were looking at X position and provided you some direction to achieve that position. How many similar hiring managers passed over your resume without a second glance? Please don't take this as discouragement. In the past, I applied to positions I now see I was nowhere near qualified for. I would've appreciated some candor and direction on which way to proceed.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNA opens a lot of doors.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Technically, both the N+ and the CCNA are entry-level certifications. Network+ teaches you basic theory, CCENT/CCNA combo teaches you basic theory + how to config apply that in a configuration. It's very reasonable that the hiring manager would prefer someone to have a CCNA if they don't want to spend a ton of time trying to teach them how to do basic IOS configuration.

Live and learn. Go get that CCNA :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also keep in mind that CompTIA certs are vendor-neutral. You can ace the Network+ exam without ever having touched a piece of Cisco equipment in your life. I'm certain the hiring manager is aware of this. My former employer completely dismissed all CompTIA certs (except the Linux+). They would literally cross them off of resumes during interviews
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, he didn't have to call you and take time out of his day. Take what he said constructively because he did take the time to let you know that the CCNA is what he expects, and since you do have other certifications he knows that you likely have the knowledge and skill to get them. The N+ really isn't looked upon very highly, same with many other Comptia certs, as they are seen as very entry level types of certifications and don't hold much weight. The only reason I would ever get one is because a job required it, such as a government contract. The CCNA would definitely open up more doors for you, and someday when you get the CCNA, you can contact him and let him know that you got the CCNA. Take that advice from him as a way to get yourself on the path to your IT career. While NOC's can be entry level, it may also depend on the organization as some NOC's are more involved than others and are more than just that title which could be why they want that CCNA certification. Work on the CCENT first, and then knock out the CCNA.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the honest advice and feedback. I guess looking at the situation again I might have been originally viewing it from the wrong perspective. I kind of took it a little personal like he was criticizing me personally, which wasn't really the case. I'm going to continue to look for other jobs that might be a closer fit for where I'm at currently with my know-how and continue to learn and get more advanced certifications. I know I'll get there eventually.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    To understand his perspective, just take a look at these forums, there are over 361 thousand members on this system alone, then ask yourself, how many of them have their CCNA, gives you a pretty good perspective on how many minimally qualified people that meet his criteria. So as others have said, get your CCNA and when you do, if you have not found a position you are happy with, give him a call back. Like has been said, at least he took the time to call you back and give your some information so you will qualify for the positions he is hiring for. Take it as a positive, many of us on here have sent resumes up the ying yang and have not got a call.

Good luck, get your CCNA and you will get a position.

(edit, you and I were typing at the same time)
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    MTciscoguy, I'm assuming you have your CCNA? Can I ask did you notice a marked difference in the amount and type of job offers you got after obtaining your CCNA compared to before you had it? Anyone else who can answer this feel free to as well.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Kandinsky wrote: »
    MTciscoguy, I'm assuming you have your CCNA? Can I ask did you notice a marked difference in the amount and type of job offers you got after obtaining your CCNA compared to before you had it? Anyone else who can answer this feel free to as well.

I have a lot of knowledge, and have worked in IT for a long time, I don't quite have my CCNA yet, but I will in the next 60 days, for me, getting my CCNA is academic, I don't really need the money. A lot of my experience came from my time in the Army as the Officer in charge of IT security while I did my stint in the Pentagon. I know how to work on networks, believe me, but without that cert, I don't get a lot of call backs. For me, my largest challenge is my age, I have already retired from a very fulfilling career, so much of what I do is local contract work, that is when the fish aren't biting or the sun is not shining. So I am not the one to gauge things by. I love working with computers and networks, but as I said, I have already retired from a 30 year career and mostly do this to keep busy.

I spent 1979 to 1991 as a field officer, then was wounded, spent 2 years in the hospital in recovery, then went back to full active status and worked in computers, IT and intelligence. I finally fully retired in 2009 at the rank of O6.

I do have my A+, Sec+. N+ and several Microsoft certifications in addition to quite a bit of stuff I learned in the Army that is not even offered in the civilian sector. I also have done an extensive amount of resume review and interviewing in my previous career when I need people to fill positions that were open in my command, I knew what my peoples qualifications were, but many times I had contract workers helping us out and had to review their qualifications before giving the ok.

As I said, you actually were treated very good, because he called you back, which is more than many get, I have filed many resumes in the dead file over the years, and I called many back, even those who showed promise but just didn't quite have everything they needed.

One thing I will say, I always wanted people who had hands on experience, so if you have that, it is probably one of the reasons he called you back, certifications are really not that hard to get, but good quality hands on is.

Like I said, keep at it, get your CCNA and you will get a position.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    certifications are really not that hard to get, but good quality hands on is.

Now ain't that the truth
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466

If you are getting into Networking, a CCNA is a must have. If you are getting into Windows System Administration, a MCSA is a must have. Your baseline certifications are fine and may open doors at the help desk level. Additionally, I have worked in NOCs before without a CCNA. It's just dependent on the company current requirement and what the hiring manager wants in his technicians. But YES. Getting a CCNA or/and MCSA will open more doors.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just to echo what has been said already, hiring manager was probably right. You're equipped right now for help desk roles and likely to be overlooked for NOC/junior network positions. Get your CCNA, it'll be worth it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    "work to get your CCNA." I told him I had Network+ and A+ and 4 MTAs, but he just kind of shrugged it off like "that's nice." like those certs didn't even matter.

You have to have a minimum of a CCNA to qualify for a NOC tech? This guy made me feel like any cert below that was basically a waste of time.

Indubitably!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This sounds like the hiring manager isnt really annoyed with you but instead with the recruiter. He has probably had several calls/emails already from that company/individual with "qualified" candidates because they dont understand what the requirements are for the position in the first place. This is a big problem with recruiters because they have limited technical background so dont understand the difference between the certifications to know who is qualified and who is not.