Options

Looking for advice and resources

IbageIbage Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Back in high school, our CRAM class offered the option to take the A+ certification test at the end of it. This was back sometime in 2004. I took the test and passed without issue. That said, I've spent a good time since then working a job that I hate and I'm feeling the call for IT. I'm looking to get my foot in the door in an entry level Help Desk job. Needless to say, I'm looking to get A+ certification again but I'd like to build more in this direction.

As it stands now, my short term goals are A+, Network+ and then MTA. However, this is where I'd like some advice. Looking over MTA, it seems very broad to the point of being almost arbitrary if I take the CompTIA route. It also seems like a very biased and slanted test. That said, I'm almost completely deadset on getting A+ then studying up for Network+. I've heard both of those are pointless but I can't honestly see a way to get in without them. Later I'd like to get my Associate's in Computer Science but this is long term. I need help getting back into the game because aside from being a computer hobbyist, I'm way out of the loop. I worked on Windows 95 and XP 10 years ago so I'm sure I'm rusty.

It boils down to this

1. Is MTA worth the effort or should I bypass it with CompTIA and move onto MSCA later?

2. Will A+ and Network+ be enough for an entry level position? I have basic experience working IT for a charity for a few years but nothing recent.

3. Resources? I don't feel like I need an entire class to do this. I want books to teach myself. Can anyone make any good suggestions?

4. If these tests are a "waste", what route would be the best to go?

5. You can buy the exam vouchers without taking a class, correct?

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, you have some excellent questions. Word of warning, before I answer them, different people have different experiences, so take all answers with a grain of salt. Essentially, what I am giving for advice is opinion based on my experience.

1. Normally, I would say that MTAs are not worth the effort. Very few companies request them and too many HR departments don't recognize them. Naturally, a company you are interested in joining may value them.

2. Often times, yes, the A+ and Network+ will be enough for the entry level position. Your experience with the charity, as long as it wasn't decades ago, is very valid and valuable. Pair your experience with the A+ and Network+ and you are more likely to get interviews than you would without the experience.

3. I will answer this one later as I don't have a list available on the computer I am using right now.

4. Testing for certification is not normally what I would consider a waste of time or resources. Go for it!

5. Most certification exams do not require taking a class before hand. The major exception to this would be VMware's certs. I am sure there are others, but that is the only one that comes to mind right now.

So, welcome to the forum and good luck! Please keep us posted as to the direction you intend to take and how well your studies are going.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. I would go the CompTia route. The MTA is not useless from a knowledge perspective, but I would try to obtain that information online for free.

2. Will A+ and Network+ be enough for an entry level position? - It's a factor among many. You'll want to work on certs, experience, and education.

3. Resources? I don't feel like I need an entire class to do this. - The best free online learning resources - Business Insider
    More specific resources, check out Darril Gibson's book and site.

4. If these tests are a "waste", what route would be the best to go? - Set a solid foundation and keep building upon it.
    5. You can buy the exam vouchers without taking a class, correct? - Correct. Look for sales, promotions, and discounts. I use the ones linked in the left hand pane. Good luck!
  • Options
    IbageIbage Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the replies. It really bolstered my confidence in this decision going about this method.