Options

Internet of things (Whats the big deal)

Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
Everywhere I go keep on coming across Internet of things on blogs, Linkedin, technical articles and technical magazines What's your understanding on this, what are your opinions and do you see the bigger picture? Whats the big deal about this? I would to hear your views on Internet of Things - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the big issue with all of the embedded internet devices is how many of them lack support but may linger on home networks for years often forgotten about with unpatched security issues.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I'm in the middle of writing a blog post on this topic as soon as I'm done I'll post excerpts of it here.

A simple summary is the:

Increase of data velocity.
    Broadening of the attack surface.
    Prices of network adapters are affordable to embed.
    API's for data consumption are maturing.
    Mobile provides a platform for easy consumption of data and interaction with devices.
    Network architecture has evolved to support velocity of data flows.
    Architectures like NO-SQL allow for the processing of massive data samples.
    AI has reduced in cost points and learning algortihms can be affordable deployed and the architecture can support this.
  • Options
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Can't wait thanks!!

Here is what I have so far, I'd appreciate anything else you'd like me to cover.

I get asked quite often what exactly the Internet of Things are. Well, its an Internet of Things duh! That's a crappy answer but yet in some way, shape, or form that is the answer you often get.

In order to answer this not so age-old question we must first make sure we are speaking at the same level. First of, the Internet, is a network of networks. According to Wikipedia, my preferred non-scholarly dictionary, the Internet is:
    A global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion devices worldwide.
    So then it would suffice to say that the Internet of Things is a
    Global system of interconnected things (cars, sensors, and those damned Keurig machines!) that use a variety of protocols (mainly IP) to link between themselves and exchange data.
    [h=2]Why now?[/h]Why now? Why are we just now getting "on-board" with IoT. A few changes have taken place recently that are driving this "push" towards IoT
    • Economically
      • Businesses have to much competition in their traditional market space and IoT opens up a whole new marketplace.
    • Technology
      • Computing Hardware is now small and powerful enough to process the amount of data required by IoT.
      • Networking advancements in Cellular, Wireless, and Wired networks now support the ability to handle the data volume and velocity required by IoT
      • Database Structures like No-SQL and clustering methodologies like Hadoop allow for the data storage and processing requirements at an acceptable price point using cloud storage and/or commodity based servers.
      • Mobile has had a huge impact on the ability for end users to consume data. Mobility is a game changer. Without mobility IoT would struggle as one of it's "selling factors" is the ability for data to be gathered and consumed on the fly.
    • Culturally
    • // add culture points
    How does it Work?
    //Description of IoT, add some diagrams
    Why Should We care?
    // Describe the value of IoT
    Where do I go to learn?
    //Showcase specific learning sites
    Conclusion
    // Close
  • Options
    Sorry for replying at this time I haven't had the chance to properly read and understand what you have shared.

First of all sounds like there is a lot to be learned on this topic.

If I am understanding you correctly, the main idea of IoT is to put and IP address to every digital devices and connect them to the internet.

So the questions I have in mind are, how is internet of things beneficial to the user/consumer as the user?

On the economics point of view what kind of business opportunities does the IoT bring to the market?

If it broadens the attack surface, does that not threaten the user/business privacy or safety and is are there any security implementations in process to secure users/businesses and why should a consumer encourage IoT to be implemented?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Addressing the security issue, keep in mind that security is very low in manufacturers eyes. They usually rush products out the door with minimal testing and QC and could care less about the security implications. They are falling at basic security such as strong authentication, encryption, digitally signing firmware, etc. IoT will just make things harder for us infosec practitioners. I have zero hope that things will improve in my lifetime. Keeps me employed so I guess it's a good thing.

Good read to illustrate the extent of the security problem: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2881942/of-10-iot-connected-home-security-systems-tested-100-are-full-of-security-fail.html
  • Options
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We're essentially becoming more borg like.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/oc/dash-button?reqInv=1

I might have signed up for an invite.....

LOL, now I'm pissed I didn't get an invite to this!
  • Options
    I think the buttons are dumb but they are cheap and I know it is for testing purposes to collect marketing data. I bet these deals will eventually work their way directly into appliances like refrigerators, stoves, etc where you can "shop" via the menu on the appliance.
  • Options

Holy crap that is brilliant. If they can get the drones approved they can essentially eliminate grocery stores. I would pay a dollar surcharge to avoid leaving my house.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□

So much this.

Last year I spent more time than I'd like to admit automating the process of ordering a Pepperoni pizza from Dominos. I got it to the point where I had a Python script running on a Raspberry Pi, with a giant red button attached; pushing the button ordered the pizza with no further interaction.

It was a really hacky solution and it immediately broke when Dominos changed a portion of the site...long story short, Amazon Dash looks awesome.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Addressing the security issue, keep in mind that security is very low in manufacturers eyes. They usually rush products out the door with minimal testing and QC and could care less about the security implications. They are falling at basic security such as strong authentication, encryption, digitally signing firmware, etc. IoT will just make things harder for us infosec practitioners. I have zero hope that things will improve in my lifetime. Keeps me employed so I guess it's a good thing.

Good read to illustrate the extent of the security problem: Of 10 IoT-connected home security systems tested, 100% are full of security FAIL | Computerworld

With this in mind sounds like IoT will be a play ground for hackers, I agree they have to strengthen cyber security before going further with this. The video below exposes how any device can be hacked even a car!!!:

Avi Rubin: All your devices can be hacked | Talk Video | TED.com
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    It can't be that the only thing standing out about IoT is security. What does it mean when a concept like this is hyped so much? What are we as consumers gaining from it? Any new functionality added, any new value created? What is there for me as a consumer to be excited about IoT?
    How I see it, hyping this IoT around so much means that we, the consumers, will spend time at home less and less, to the point where we can't stay at home long enough to even do the chores so we'll have to do it on remote. The concept of "home" is turned into "the place where you go to sleep", you are to live on the road and your vehicle is turning into your real living room.
    I'd really LOVE to see all that IoT effort focused on making better things rather than just things interconnected in some way. Like a washing machine that does laundry in less than, say, 15 minutes. Or a better, not just good enough, dishwasher. I can't see gaining anything new by putting my washing machine online.