Options

Raise question....

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So I've worked at my current position for about a year now. It's a smaller company. The IT dept is me and the IT manager. I take care of all of help desk stuff and some what I considered junior sys admin stuff (setting up/disabling accounts, manage permissions, managing company phone account). Now, I was told my manager they are going to post a new position below me so I can handle pretty much all admin duties.

Right now, I only make 46k, nothing spectular. But not terribly low for being in Minnesota. The thing I'm wondering is, I haven't heard anything from my manager about a raise... But I have to assume I should ask for one right? Not really sure how much I should go to him with either...

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    First step is to find out what you're worth. What exactly are you going to be doing? How big of an environment will you be doing it on? What industry? Any supervisory duties on the new guy? Location? Travel?

A lot of variables that can make the number vary greatly. I don't know much about the CoL in Minnesota, but your pay seems equivalent to your current duties of what I'd guess.

Either way, some companies have internal policies on raises and their percentage so keep that in mind.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First step is to find out what you're worth. What exactly are you going to be doing? How big of an environment will you be doing it on? What industry? Any supervisory duties on the new guy? Location? Travel?

A lot of variables that can make the number vary greatly. I don't know much about the CoL in Minnesota, but your pay seems equivalent to your current duties of what I'd guess.

Either way, some companies have internal policies on raises and their percentage so keep that in mind.

Excellent points! The point i would add is that it seems like your not in the loop with what the expectation for you after the new hire is brought on board. I would start by addressing plans for what exactly your role will be once someone else is on the team; ie. do they report to you, equal to you, above you? Another way to address this is to ask point blank to assess your job duties with your current title and what your new duties would be and if your current title is an accurate reflection of those duties; ie. if your doing server/network/security/escalated support/etc and your title is the same as the person doing help desk support, thats not exactly equivalent and is good justification on a title change.

As networker point out, many companies have policy about pay and titles. Your manager may not be able to give you an increase but could give you the title up front and that title may be the fuel needed to get you to your next spot making the money your looking for.

Also ...
    But I have to assume I should ask for one right? Not really sure how much I should go to him with either...

If your not sure you should be asking for a raise, you clearly have not been working toward it. Consider the advice of Ramit Sethi on how to ask for a raise. Google him or PM me for links. Have that up front and honest conversation, be prepared to hear a no BUT unlike everyone else come prepared for the conversation with statistics on your job performance that show your doing above and beyond your peers. (even if you don't have any, you need something to show your manager that your deserve and have earned an increase.) If they say no, ask what you can do in the next months to show you deserve it; ask for a project, tackle an issue they don't think they have time for etc. Then revisit and discuss again.
  • Options
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    If your not sure you should be asking for a raise, you clearly have not been working toward it.

really? icon_rolleyes.gif anyways....
  • Options
    A little bit about the company, we have about 50 ppl in our corporate office and 150 tech/sales ppl across the US that connect in via VPN.

A few months back my boss told me they were going to either bring in a Sys Admin to work above me or bring in someone to take on my current duties so I can work on more administration duties. They choose to promote my duties... (despite the fact I don't deserve a raise because I clearly haven't been working towards one)

I would pretty much be the administrator for our servers/firewall/AD/Office365... There is also an inhouse application that I just recently starting handling some of the administration/troubleshooting for (making changes on the SQL server it uses)
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It wouldn't hurt to ask, and I'd ask for a time to sit down with him and see the vision of where they will want you to be for the short term and then long term. You could possibly even get a "new title" created as Sys Admin and since you'll be focused on that, ask for say $50k. It's not out of the realm and as far as a Sys Admin goes, they are still getting you cheap compared to more experienced admins out there. Good luck.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've come to learn that if you don't ask, you won't get. When you ask you'll learn how much the company values you. If they give you a raise then great. If not, they either don't value you or maybe they don't have the money. But at least you'll know where you stand.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    I've come to learn that if you don't ask, you won't get. When you ask you'll learn how much the company values you. If they give you a raise then great. If not, they either don't value you or maybe they don't have the money. But at least you'll know where you stand.

Bang on the Money (pardon the pun) :)

If you don't ask you don't get. I have only worked for a couple of companies that have been good with raises the rest I have had to ask for them. In fact I will be speaking to my boss very soon about a raise icon_moneyeyes.gif
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Make sure you have a valid and thought out list of reasons why you deserve a raise BEFORE approaching you boss. Make a list of all the additional duties you have performed and the projects/tasks you've steered to success and where you have added real value.

Surprising how many people have come to me asking for a raise purely because they've been ticking along in the job for a few years and expect it automatically icon_rolleyes.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    thanks for the replies! Yea, I'll definitely need to come up with the list and talk with him. I feel like its a big jump in my duties and what is expected of me, but the fact that my boss hasn't said anything about a raise kinda surprises me. But I guess thats just how some businesses work...
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    How long u work for them?
  • Options
    Just past my one year mark a few weeks ago. Before they hired me on a year ago they recently broke off from another company and before they just used their parent company's IT support. So everything I've been doing here has been starting from scratch.

I've also pretty much been told I get to pick the person I want hired below me... Which is kinda exciting.