Options

what would you guys do?

Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
You find a nice job with a company you like, you go through three rounds of phone interview, they say they like you and invite you for a face to face, after the in person interview they call back to say, they cant offer you the job that you applied for but they have something upcoming that is a lower role, less salary and benefits. would you guys take it just as a way of getting your feet in the door and maybe proving to them that they made a mistake in not hiring you for the first position or would you tell them to go pound sand for stringing you along for two months?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't say they were stringing you a long for two months. They obviously like you or wouldn't have wasted so much time and offered you another role. Chances are they just found someone better than you for the other role. If you want to be in at the company and you're happy with the lower salary then go for it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    yea, I agree that they probably weren't stringing me along. just disappointed I guess
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    careful coming into a full time roll taking a lower salary ...because its hard to get a big bump once your in at that price point in my experience
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    That's another thing, this role would be a contract to hire
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your in a perm job and your offer is to go contract at a lower than your currently making salary. I would hard pass. There are very few companies that are worth taking a cut just to get in the door.
  • Options
    HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is what they are offering as the alternate position inline with what you are looking for? there is always a bottom line..do they meet yours?
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Depends on what you are doing now, would the contract to hire position pay more, do you have enough confidence in your skills to make it past the hump to get hired? They didn't string you along, they spent a bit of time with you, which costs money, time in money in this business. It just depends on what your chances are at getting hired and moving up the chain. If you are working at a livable wage and this could be an advancement, then it is worth taking a serious look at it, if not, then nope, keep your job and continue looking. It might be worth seeing if you can find someone that has worked in a contract position for them and see what they have to say.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    I'm just going to say be wary of comments of "oh come in at this lower level, and we'll move you up to the next level in no time". I have been in this situation, and the company got quite comfortable at using my above & beyond skill-set for other duties within the company all while refusing the title & pay increase. All the while , they continued hiring people with less skills for the higher position and saying "you're too valuable where you are".

I don't regret my decision as the lower position was still a good experience, however the promise of them moving me forward and not delivering left me with a sour taste in my mouth (and partially my own fault for getting my hopes up)

If you feel this lower position will be satisfying for you in terms of pay & challenge than take it, and take it alone.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I am presently employed full time. The main problem with my current job is the1:30 min commute each way and also the fact that there is no room for advancement. I guess the way I view their potential offer is; you apply at a restaurant for a job as a cook, they interview you and say, we like you but we cant give you the cook position, however we might be needing a diswasher here soon
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This sort of thing happened to me recently, I applied for a technical help desk position and when I interviewed they were pushing a customer service job on me instead. I asked how long it would take to advance to the technical position multiple times, 18-24 months. The next day I sent an email to thank them for their time and said I wasn't interested in that particular position but am still interested in the technical position. They replied they'd get back to me if another technical position opens, I haven't heard from them and don't expect to.

Since you are trying to get your foot in the door, I'd see how long it would take to advance into a position you'd like before giving up. If you are getting many interviews you are probably close to landing another position, take that into consideration.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The other day I had an interview with an HR person, same situation as yours. I applied for a more operational/technical role and they told me... "well we don't think you fit the job description for this technical role, but we do need someone on the IT governance side to write procedures and documents and create risk reports, we think you fit in this role because you have the technical background and understanding" So I had enough experience to do one job but too little experience to do the other one. Hiring managers do not seem to trust in the abilities of self motivated people any more.
    This thing happens a lot, it has happen to me quiet a few also. I think the reason for this is because we might be at some point in our career where we have certain experience and knowledge and we want to move up using that experience and knowledge to something more challenging, so we are applying to job that might be initially out of league or might seem like that to the hiring people. The thing is, the IT world has changed and hiring managers want someone that can move in right away. I am finding out that it is harder and harder to get those entry level jobs where you can make a jump from one It career to another IT career.
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Seems that during the interview process, you were interviewing for position A, but they felt you were better for position B. Maybe somewhere during the process, that think you didn't display strong enough areas in places that they need. Or another candidate displayed them better than you did during the interview.

With that said, if you come in low, you'll always be low. No matter the amount of bonuses or raises that you get, you'll never get back to where you thought you would be. So, if the original position paid $75k but they bring you in at $50k, it'll take years before you even get close to $75k. Most companies offer 1-5% annual raises, mostly depending on increased cost of living. Let's say you get 5% each year, you do the math. Only you know what you need to move on. You'll just need to keep in the back of your mind, would you be willing to take something less than what you originally interviewed for.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is crazy, they people less qualified but would not promote you.