Options

Resume critique

slatkinslatkin Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Have another resume to critique.

I recently graduated from WGU and am having a tough time even getting replies from resumes I've sent out. I'm currently looking for a desktop support type position, and I am currently a phone support agent for a software company.

Eventually I'd like to grow into a System Admin or possibly Network Admin type role, right now I'm having a tough time gaining the basic experience that will help my career grow.

I've done all the job board searches and currently working on reaching out to recruiters on Linkedin. My (people) networking skills are awful, I feel like I've just worked and studied for the past year to get my degree. Now that I actually have free time I have no idea what to do with myself.

Any additional feedback is appreciated, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Comments

• Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    This might be personal preference, but I don't like the abbreviated years ('14, '13 etc) that really jumped out at me. I tend to split my promotions too, this way you can express the additional duties that you were given as a result of the promotion. This way you can clearly outline what each position entailed and how you were promoted. I would try and condense it a bit, I see a few extra line breaks and some of the paragraphs are a bit long winded.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also vote for getting rid of the single quotes with the dates, just spell out the month and give the year, the quotes don't look right. Also, the visible border is not consistent. Unless it's my version of Word, the top border is wider than the bottom border. I prefer to make the border lines invisible, but if you're going with a visible border, make it consistent.

I would section off education and then under it I would list certifications, you have them side-by-side, so even though they would be listed together, I would format them differently.

Your work experience is somewhat confusing. I see multiple dates, and then a description of your current job, but then as I scroll down, you have the dates of your previous jobs.

I would recommend looking at other resumes, using them as a template and then going from there.

I remember starting out on my resume, looking back, it was dreadful, and yours looks much better than mine did back then. Just look at some examples of existing resumes, and make yours fit. Good luck.
  • Options
    slatkinslatkin Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Appreciate the feedback. I'll play around with it more this weekend.

The compressed positions is mainly a space thing, I was a fan of having a small snapshot then follow up with specifics, but might have to go back to the drawing board on that one.

Two posts both referencing the dates...point taken.

The resume is still under construction, but I wanted to get another few sets of eyes on it.

Appreciate the feedback!