Options

get computer name remotely using Dell service tag

ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
Long story but I have to find a computer on the network and all I have is the Dell service tag. Is there any way I can use the service tag to retrieve the computer name? Once I have the name I'll know where to find the machine physically.
Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nbtstat -a "ipaddress"
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nbtstat -a "ipaddress"

I don't have the ip address of the machine, all I have is the service tag.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't believe WMIC or powershell give a function to search by serial number, but you can search by computer anme and then find which one has the serial number you're looking for

https://gist.github.com/discoposse/492475
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    joelsfood wrote: »
    I don't believe WMIC or powershell give a function to search by serial number, but you can search by computer anme and then find which one has the serial number you're looking for

https://gist.github.com/discoposse/492475

Actually you are able to find the serial number with WMIC.. the command to run is "wmic bios get serialnumer". So you could probably create a script thats runs it on all machines and output it to a text file and then compare the serial number with the ones in the output file to see which machine corresponds to it.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've figured out a way to get service tag info remotely with the IP but not vice versa.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Jasmin, that's exactly what my link goes over. I didn't say WMIC couldn't query serial number, I said WMIC/powershell don't let you search the network by serial number. :)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Reseven wrote: »
    I don't have the ip address of the machine, all I have is the service tag.

One way or another, you need to scan each system so the service tag can be queried. Given that it is on the network I presume it is on the subnet you have access to. If it is a domain, then you don't have access issues. Is remote management enabled on all PCs etc. ? If yes, you could write a script which cycles through all IPs on the network and executes "wmic bios get serialnumber" and puts it into a text file or even better, puts it into a text file if it matches a pattern. Having said that - if its in the domain then you could simply run a login script to get the information you need, which then stores the result somewhere on the network.

If the machines are all in the workgroup and you don't have a common username on each machine and you don't know the IPs, get someone to look at the stickers ..

Or better still, send an email around requesting to execute said command and send you the result for "statistical purposes" ..

I had to do the same with some Dell Optiplex back in the day which Dell support had to hunt down because some silly alerting program opened a ticket due to faulty ram or something ..

We've done it via AD/
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    joelsfood wrote: »
    Jasmin, that's exactly what my link goes over. I didn't say WMIC couldn't query serial number, I said WMIC/powershell don't let you search the network by serial number. :)

You're right, I misread it :)