Options

Age Factor Big Deal?

jimmybmejimmybme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am in my mid thirties and changing my career into computers. I know I should have done this way before but I always had good positions in a other field. Anyway I have a older sister who would really like to study for IT as well but shes afraid at 46 she's to old. Is there a real big age factor in the IT world? I don't blame her, I feel a bit weird about it at my age lol Computers usage and troubleshooting have come naturally to both us.

Comments

• Options
    newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jimmybme wrote: »
    I am in my mid thirties and changing my career into computers. I know I should have done this way before but I always had good positions in a other field. Anyway I have a older sister who would really like to study for IT as well but shes afraid at 46 she's to old. Is there a real big age factor in the IT world? I don't blame her, I feel a bit weird about it at my age lol Computers usage and troubleshooting have come naturally to both us.

Well, there are many different types of IT. You have your service centers, you have your customer support, support engineers, then programmers, security professionals, so on and so forth.

When I started out ( 2 years ago ) I started in a place that was predominately mixed with ages. But I was a bit older (24/25) and then there were some people in a different IT department that were in there 30's that have been working in different fields that kind of converged with IT.

Depending on what you did in your last career, it might be beneficial to a different IT Path. If you worked in Law, you might want to work in e-Discovery. If you worked in finance or analytics, maybe Business Analysis IT. If you worked in physical security setting up an alarm system, maybe computer security, while different, maybe a better route, working with access controls. If you worked in the health field, there is healthcare IT, healthcare professionals want people who understand HIPPA.

Work it to your advantage, and not the age.
  • Options
    mr.comfortablymr.comfortably Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great feedback, I too struggle with this problem being 26 and far behind my counter parts in getting into the IT field (because of health, financial, kids, ects.) I have worked in sales my entire career so far (never IT sales though), but have always wanted to work in IT, but without any degree, certs or workforce experience I can't land a job. I have worried about this against people my own age with much more education / exp. Using your previous work history to choose the direction to go with my IT education and exp is a good strategy to "catch up" you can say to where I would like to be. (with two kids and a wife, i dont wanna be making $16k a year for the rest of my life) :)

Happy Studies
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There is a huge misconception that the younger you are the more "tech savvy" you are. In the end all we did was manage to dumb down technology to the point that a tween could use it and nothing else. I didn't start till I was 31 and I had absolutely no interest in IT prior. I guess there's just something about having a mortgage that really motivates you to learn :D
  • Options
    EdinEdin Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I personally don't think age is that much of a factor. As long as you study hard & know what you're doing, you'll perform just as well.
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Really boils down to what you know, your part in the organization, and motivation. Age can work for her if she pursue's management in aspect of IT. You know, CISM - CISSP - CASP - PMP... along those lines. May take a minute to build up, but motivation can go a long way
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    AJMAxxAJMAxx Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been in the computer repair field for 14 years and only 2 years ago got A+ through the company I work for. They finally decided we need people certified. They paid for the training, test and paid the CompTia fees. I am 50 now. I know I am way out of the norm as far as age, but I bring alot of talent, wisdom and can make decisions on my own without worry if I am doing it wrong or is this allowable. Age sometimes is a plus. I have guys that are half my age doing same thing as me, and that is ok. We all bring different things to the table. My 2 oldest sons, 22 and 20 are following in my footsteps because of what they have seen and like doing it too. And they bring a fresh perspective to me doing my job.
    And I enjoy doing this and they pay me and I do it VERY well.
    Good LUCK

AJ
  • Options
    CurchelCurchel Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, i am 38 going on 39 this year and i am just getting into it! If I can do it, you can too!!!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everything in life has it's challenges. If you are good at what you do you will overcome any age discrimination you encounter.

Keep in mind that young people complain to because you can get a job until you have experience. So it's not like life is ever perfect. If you want it then go for it.

Good Luck!