Options

Your Approach with Recruiters

Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was curious to get thoughts on how you handle recruiters. I've been not responding to emails/LinkedIn messages from them, but a part of me feels that's a bit rude. However, unless someone has my perfect dream job, I have no interest in even interviewing at the moment. What do you guys do? No Response? Explanation of what your dream job is? Generic 'I am not seeking new opportunities at this time'?

Comments

• Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    "I am not seeking any new work at this time. When I am looking again, I will only be looking for additional remote contracting work to supplement my existing client base.
    Thank you for your interest"
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i definitely have totally ignored calls, emails & Linkedin messages from recruiters. if they're not including a job descript, or if its not in the industry i'm looking for, or if the pay is not included or in the range of what i'm looking for, i just delete the email/message.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As a recruiter hater and Shark Tank fan, two Mr. Wonderful lines come to mind when the word "recruiter" is mentioned: "You are dead to me" and "crush you like the cockroach you are". In the past I've tried cultivating a few recruiter relationships but they always messed up by not honoring my requests. I'm now convinced they are mindless drones just trying to make numbers and just ignore them all.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The generic rejection, but I do connect with them if they ask. Never know when 1 of them will offer an interesting position.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I look at all of their emails, but a good 99% end up being deleted. Why would I want to leave my job to go to a 4 month contract on software I've never used?
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I tell them I am not looking for work at this time and I have no interest in contract work.

If they are the random email spammer kind I just junk them.
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I generally respond just to say I am not looking but as the last few have been direct contact from vendors (Cisco/VMware) I send that a more detailed response and keep them on LinkedIn

May come in use some day :)
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If its a recruiter from a vendor (i.e. direct), I always smile and wave as you never know. That's how i got my current role and I'm happy to be here!

If its a recruiter from one of the many small external, independent companies that seem to pop-up every 60 seconds I tend to play those by ear. I've got one or two who I would typically recommend as they have always been professional and well connected. Sad to say that the majority are just trying to plug a hole with anyone regardless of fit. This shouldn't be surprising really, it is a sales role after all. However, anyone who sends me a spam email looking for a junior engineer/1st line support saying they have read my CV or looked at my LinkedIn profile get blocked immediately and permanently added to the 'numpty' section in my little black book for future reference.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I get emails from recruiters, I pretty much ignore all of them. I've gotten responses on Linkedin and replied to each one, saying thank you, I'm currently working on this, I may be available a few months from now, contact me again a few months from now, etc. They were nice enough to contact me and put the time in to write and I extend the same courtesy back.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I ignore a lot of them. Sometimes, if it is an internal recruiter, I will try to sell them on contracting my company.
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    bertieb wrote: »
    If its a recruiter from a vendor (i.e. direct), I always smile and wave as you never know. That's how i got my current role and I'm happy to be here!

If its a recruiter from one of the many small external, independent companies that seem to pop-up every 60 seconds I tend to play those by ear. I've got one or two who I would typically recommend as they have always been professional and well connected. Sad to say that the majority are just trying to plug a hole with anyone regardless of fit. This shouldn't be surprising really, it is a sales role after all. However, anyone who sends me a spam email looking for a junior engineer/1st line support saying they have read my CV or looked at my LinkedIn profile get blocked immediately and permanently added to the 'numpty' section in my little black book for future reference.

I love these, we have a copy of your CV on file and think you would be a good fit, how old is the CV they have? 15 years!!
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If I'm looking for work, I'll inquire about the position. If not, I ignore it. I do find it funny that in the IT profession, I get a few that say "due to your qualifications, we can offer positions in ..." warehousing, truck driving... Or I could be a software developer for Intel (which I have very, very little experience doing, and only as a hobby - not on my resume or profile). So, it's just blanket spamming me. I ignore those.

I've gotten a couple contract jobs in the past, when I was looking for work after a back surgery. One was a real doozy, but I needed the money. Still in stitches, just a couple weeks out, I had to install a printer. No problem. Nope. A huge printer that I had to lift. Damn.... I did it. Not the smartest thing I did, and I had a fusion a year later (doubt it was related to the overdoing it so soon after the 2nd surgery). After that, I went to work doing more of the helpdesk/admin stuff. Mostly desk work. Haven't worked with a recruiter since. But, I get the offers quite a bit.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't appreciate spam, or most other unsolicited communication, so I completely ignore recruiters. I also think there are better ways to find a job, such as networking & directly applying at companies of interest.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    this is becoming a problem for me as of the recent, since becoming a system administrator and handling a entire corporate network on my own and placing this on Linkedin, I seem to get 7 to 10 emails a week on job offers contract and non-contract. I'm humbled by the amount of work in the Tri-State area but I'm happy where I am...
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I get calls and e-mails extremely regularly. No I don't want to be your dell driving tech. No I will not work at CompuCom - I'm way past that. No I cannot be your Sr. Architect, I'm not even close to that point. I'm not humbled and I've basically never felt like they were looking out for me at all.