Options

Few questions about IT Jobs

marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I just had a few questions about IT jobs, well jobs in general. I am applying for some summer internships and I have gone to interviews for about four so far. My question is, how long after an offer do you have to accept the offer? I know these are just internships but I figured it'd be pretty similar to a job offer. These are pretty competitive internships so I'm pretty sure they want a response asap. The reason I am asking is because there are some internships that I'd prefer to have over the others but lets say I get an offer for one and the other companies are still making their decision. I'd want to wait out and see if I got the other ones but I don't want to be left without an internship if the original internship retracts their offer. Would waiting at least another week be enough time for me to make my decision on whether or not to accept the offer?

My second question is regarding getting a job as a Network Admin. I have read everywhere that you basically need to start as help desk to get experience. Would 2 months of Networking experience be enough to land me a Network Admin position? The internships I am applying for are all Network Engineering positions where I work with Senior Network Engineers. From the sounds of it, I will be deploying routers and switches, configuring them and documenting the network topology. I don't know the full scope of responsibilities but do you think with that I could get a Network Admin position right after I graduate college? I know it really depends but I was just curious if it would be enough to where I could land a network gig right out of college.

Btw I am hoping to have my CCNA by the time I graduate.
Thanks Guys!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A response needed within 72 hours seems to be the average from what I've experienced.

You are right, it really does depend on a lot of factors. The internship will certainly not hurt your chances. Even better if you can get the place you intern with to bring you on in a similar capacity.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is there a contract for these internships? If not, accept the best one within the above suggested time frame, then if a better opportunity comes along, then go with that one.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    marcj04 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I just had a few questions about IT jobs, well jobs in general. I am applying for some summer internships and I have gone to interviews for about four so far. My question is, how long after an offer do you have to accept the offer? I know these are just internships but I figured it'd be pretty similar to a job offer. These are pretty competitive internships so I'm pretty sure they want a response asap. The reason I am asking is because there are some internships that I'd prefer to have over the others but lets say I get an offer for one and the other companies are still making their decision. I'd want to wait out and see if I got the other ones but I don't want to be left without an internship if the original internship retracts their offer. Would waiting at least another week be enough time for me to make my decision on whether or not to accept the offer?

My second question is regarding getting a job as a Network Admin. I have read everywhere that you basically need to start as help desk to get experience. Would 2 months of Networking experience be enough to land me a Network Admin position? The internships I am applying for are all Network Engineering positions where I work with Senior Network Engineers. From the sounds of it, I will be deploying routers and switches, configuring them and documenting the network topology. I don't know the full scope of responsibilities but do you think with that I could get a Network Admin position right after I graduate college? I know it really depends but I was just curious if it would be enough to where I could land a network gig right out of college.

Btw I am hoping to have my CCNA by the time I graduate.
    Thanks Guys!

Probably not enough experience but it depends on the local job market to be frank. HR would want to see you in the same help desk position for at least one year before applying for a junior administrator position. Ironically, it always seemed difficult to break into DP/IS/IT except during the dot com era.

Either way use your first year to acclimate to both the working world from college and to begin studying for what will likely be a lifetime (we hope) of learning for your next position. CompTIA exams are most appropriate and good for getting your feet wet as well as the entry level Cisco exams if you want to go down the path of becoming an infrastructure/router jock.

As far as accepting one internship over another. Don't burn bridges and turn someone down a week afterward. You never know who you might run into even in a big city down the line. One days worth of notice is considered the norm here in the Midwest for full time positions. I wouldn't push my luck much as an intern with 72 hours to a week. Personally, I'd move on while you consider your "options". You do an internship for a reference. Not for fame. Not for the money - by any means. A reference. Think about how you want your first reference to read to your first real boss. Yeah, good kid but had problems making a decision...." Ummmm, yeah. All over that one. If the boss seems like a good person - intern for them. No one is expecting you to move into the corner office when your done.

Now to call my intern and tell him my coffee is cold. Excuse me. icon_silent.gif

- b/eads
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Network Engineer is kinda differ from a network admin but its just name titles. You should be fine with that intern, it looks good on a resume. Just study your Cisco, read the Cisco docs, and ask a lot of questions. If you really serious about the network admin route work on your Microsoft Server , Linux and Esxi certs.