Options

question... PPTP vs L2TP

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
Ok, I read 2 sources that say different things about the difference between these protocols.

I guess, as far as the network+ is concerned what are the key differences I need to know about these 2?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gigionegigione Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As far as I know L2TP works with IP networks only
  • Options
    OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    L2TP or layer 2 tunneling potocol support NON-TCP/IP protocols in VPN, Its a mixture of MS PPTP and Cisco's Layer 2 forwarding(L2F) technology. Thus L2TP is only for non-TCP/IP networks.

Correct me if i'm wrong
  • Options
    Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
    Basically PPTP and L2TP/IPSec are the two methods of provding authentication and encryption over VPN connection. They both provide the same authentication methods such as CHAP, MS CHAP v 1+2, EAP etc but L2TP/IPSec offers the most secure encryption:

PPTP uses MPPE for encryption - 40, 56 or 128 bit
    L2TP/IPSe - DES (56 bit) or 3DES (168 bit)

A few points to remember:
    To use encryption on a PPTP connection you must use either MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP 2 or EAP-TLS for authentication.

If you must use a password based authentication protocol then use MS-CHAP v2 and enforce strong passwords through group policy
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Opi wrote:
    L2TP or layer 2 tunneling potocol support NON-TCP/IP protocols in VPN, Its a mixture of MS PPTP and Cisco's Layer 2 forwarding(L2F) technology. Thus L2TP is only for non-TCP/IP networks.

Correct me if i'm wrong

This is the part that the 2 sources were different on...

One source said that L2TP was TCP/IP only and PPTP could use other protocols and the other source basically had this the other way around. I think your post must be correct.

Ally77: I found your reply to be very insightful, thank you very much.
  • Options
    Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
    Your very welcome!!The microsoft site has some good articles on the two that you may find helpful to print out!! Its worth having a browse about. As with all information on the site i.e. www.technet.com it can be quite hard to find what your looking for but it is there somewhere!! Good luck :D