Options

First meeting with a recruiter

I have my very first meeting with a recruiter tomorrow. For those of you with more experience with recruiters, what advice and wisdom can you give me?

A+ certified
Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
Working on: Network+

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some of them are great, some are terrible. Keep notes, they are salespeople after all so sometimes some of them will run at the mouth a bit trying to sell you on a position. Ask for advice on your resume, I'd probably then bounce the revised resume off the group here for backup. Be very specific on what you are looking for, location, salaries, etc, it's only going to help them find what matches you.

Do they have any open positions now, or are they just trying to get a feel for you before looking for something that fits you?
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Stick to your guns.

Tell them what you are looking for work and salary wise and what type of work you'd consider (contract, CtoH, perm) .

When you get an interview even if the recruiter gave you a decription ask about the job like they never did to make sure it is what you are looking for .
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    She said they are setting up a project and starting to interview people for it. Other than that, I don't have a lot of details. She is aware that I have VERY minimal experience and am just starting the whole process of starting my IT career.

I already have a 6-8 week entry level contract lined up, so if no thing else I am looking to make a connection for someone I can use in the future.

A+ certified
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with sticking to your guns, and make sure to get as many details as possible. Obviously more details flow from the official company's interview itself, but the recruiter, depending on his or her tendencies, should give you a fair description of what you're getting yourself into. I'd say the only recruiters I didn't like was Robert Half, but it's case by case. Depending on how quickly they hire their people, quality of work environment, work/life balance, etc. Some are decent at building some good rapport as you move along, but remember they are in a salesman position. At the same time, it's always good to network with the recruiters that catch your eye. In regards to their quality of following through, that is. Considering you have some experience in social work though, as you had mentioned on a previous post, I think you'll do well in that aspect.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Meeting was great! I wasn't particularly interested in the position she had available as I am already signed on for something similar. However, she does recruit for positions at 3M which basically act as a pipeline into a long term IT career. You start out wiping laptops and reimaging them, eventually move into help desk, then desktop support, and then networking/sys admin, etc. type stuff. (Usually over a period of 3 years or so.)

I told her to keep me in mind for one of those as I think they sound perfect for someone with as little experience as I have.

A+ certified
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Sounds like a definite plan Betty. Once you get your foot in the door, the sky is the limit. I'm sure that you'll be a star wherever you go!
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck you are making a great decision.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    Remember that you're one of many candidates that said recruiter is communicating with. I take everything a recruiter says with a grain of salt and continue with my own plans regardless.

They can give you all these nice statements about how great a chance you have for a position, but until it's on paper nothing is real.
  • Options
    Mutata wrote: »
    Remember that you're one of many candidates that said recruiter is communicating with. I take everything a recruiter says with a grain of salt and continue with my own plans regardless.

They can give you all these nice statements about how great a chance you have for a position, but until it's on paper nothing is real.

Definitely. I learned this when my husband was working through recruiters. He kept getting my hopes up that he was a shoe-in for all of these high paying jobs, only to find out he didn't get them. I had to give back all the money I spent in my head! icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

A+ certified
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Assume anything they tell you is an outright lie. It won't be necessarily, but there's a lot of BS that comes out of the mouths of recruiters.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Take what they say with a grain of salt. Always keep the door open for other opportunities. I have worked with recruiters and they always say "I have the perfect job for you" I would rather work with a CONTRACTOR.... I have gotten jobs with contracting agency's but never with recruiters.

icon_study.gif - I run from Recruiters.... I wont let them waste my time.