Mr. Computer Tech
The IT God
Wizard of Waverly Nerd :P
The Computer Hero

You guys get a nickname?

Comments

• Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Nope, I work with professionals. Not trying to sound uppity, but no one ever breaks their professionalism around here(Multinational Corp).
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Nope. The closest thing I have is being called Magic Hands because when I touch something it just seems to work
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    I have a nickname at my current workplace, and also work with professionals - professionalism and being uptight are not mutually inclusive. Team and Org dynamics generally dictate how casual an environment may be in my experience.

Back when I did Customer & Internal support, I'd get a lot of nicknames.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Closest thing to a nickname was hyperthreader. I was performing simulations at my last job and running heavy scripts that could take days to run. The processor would be maxed out at a 100% for at least 12 hours if not longer.

This was an i7. Eventually I began to run them on the server.
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I wish it was more casual, we would be able to get things done much faster. May change to another subsidiary in near future.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    I'm an Infrastructure Consultant on the Software side things. I find Development Shops to generally be much more casual than more traditional organizations - I've been through that with the Banks.

I'm not sure I could handle that again.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When people see that my initials are E.W. they automatically started calling me E-Dub. I have that in my professional and personal life. Even the CISO says it to differentiate between me and the Network Admin that I share a first name with.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Philter (This came about b/c we need to filter our actions against our year end goals and I was the most vocal about filtering thus I became the Philter)
    P-Diddy (not sure how this one came about)
    Young Phil (Liked this one the best b/c I am a 33 year old on a team of 50-60 year olds booyah Young Folks RULE!)
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    "Beard"

"Alpha Beard" (When other bearded men are present, mostly.)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dream Crusher - because I am a realist and bring pie in the sky ideas back to earth
    The Enforcer - because I go at those we regulate
    My last name - on a very rare occasion people address me by my first name
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only worked at one place that was very uptight and that sort of thing would have been frowned on. Overall team performance sucked.

Last two places I worked everyone had a nickname. It was a high stress job with high expectations, had to do something to blow off a little steam.

Now as to what my employees call me behind my back...that I am not sure about.
  • Options
    Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Geek Squad was quite a nice one. The Computer Man not so much
  • Options
    UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dan or Dan The Man (My name is David) don't know how that started.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ that reminds me of the FRIENDS episode where that guy called Chandler "Toby"
  • Options
    jabokimjabokim Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Magic Mike
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    VMware guy << more often this, thankfully..

Cert wh0re
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Along time ago and for a short while I was tagged as Mainframe. Truth be told I
    had nothing to do with them. I worked for a long time at a company when I was very young. I had a nickname that would make me out to be a party guy, which I was at the time. Not a good Idea if you want to climb the ladder. I did not care when I was 19 but when I was 27 being called by a college nickname at work was not a great idea. I moved on and dropped the nickname. I think for the most part I was always a good employee but could have been viewed by higher ups in a better way.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Everyone calls me patches. Mainly because I make everyone's computers reboot for mandatory patch updates.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    D-Man or Super Dave (fortunately my name is Dave). Sometimes my boss will refer to me as "Number One" in a Cpt. Picard kinda way.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    D-Man or Super Dave (fortunately my name is Dave). Sometimes my boss will refer to me as "Number One" in a Cpt. Picard kinda way.

Star Trek references can make any job bearable. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My first it job had three Chris's working there. I was #3, so I became ray ray (last name). I seen two of the guys from that job and they both yelled "ray ray!!" At the same time. That one stuck.