Options

MCSA Bootcamp for a Help Desk guy?

cowmilk11cowmilk11 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

First time posting. This seems like a great community! Hope you can provide some guidance here.

So I've been working at my company's Help Desk for 3 years, and don't really have any training other than on-the-job Windows troubleshooting. My colleague, who was recently promoted to tier-2 support, took an MCSA boot camp, which prepares you for the 70-680 and 70-686 exams. It's intense and runs from 8am-8pm every day for 5 days. Thinking that I'd be able to power through it, I signed up and my boss approved. Now I'm terrified that I may have bitten off more than I can chew! The course includes a free exam voucher, so I'm not terribly worried about failing, but I am concerned about not being able to follow along in the labs.

Here's the course outline: MCSA Windows 7 Boot Camp for Desktop Administrators at Global Knowledge Canada

My question is: for someone who hasn't taken any other certs like A+, Network+ etc. What should I be doing to prepare myself for this course and the exams?

Comments

• Options
    DomesticDomestic Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    These exams are not easy but there a lots of free online resources for them. Just off the top of my head you can do the CBT Nuggets videos which are free for your first week and Professor Messer also has a lot of good videos on the 70 680.
  • Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found that the exam focused heavily quite a bit on features that I don't use day to day. Preparation is your key to passing. 5 days is grueling schedule but all the info will still be fresh in your head.
    Your attention span may not be that great but remind yourself of the goal.
    Fear of failing keeps me alert.