Options

Is the following properly worded?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
Taking notes and rereading them now and this is the explanation I came up with as to how the data link layer is used to forward traffic from one destination to another, but I wanted to explain to myself how a packet is routed from one network to another and explain the stripping and rebuilding of frames:

The frame is stripped at each hop and rebuilt with new information about the next hop
Router A receives a frame with the destination MAC address of itself and strips the data, looks at the routing information and realizes it’s not for a network locally attached to it
Router A looks up the destination IP address in its routing table and sees that Router B has a connection to the IP address
Router A frames the packet with a source MAC address being its own and the destination MAC address of Router B

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Or is the packet stripped down to only the LLC portion, in which the destination of the packet is within, and then just rebuilt on the MAC level of the data link layer?

The router will look at the destination address within the LLC header, check its routing table, reframe the packet with the destination MAC address as its own and the destination address of the next hop's interface
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe you are thinking correct. The IP address never changes between the two end points, but the mac address changes at every Layer3 hop.