Options

How much "trivia" is on the exams?

IbageIbage Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've recently started studying up for A+ using the book by Mike Meyers. There's a lot of "trivia" facts in the book itself and I'm finding it hard to care about a lot of it. At least from an academic standpoint. So the question stands, do I need to learn about history to a major extent to pass the exam? Like, the actual history of Windows and general information on the 8088 that's no longer relevant in today's hardware for example. Basically, I'd like to trim the fat while I'm studying.

And on a slightly unrelated note, when should the next series of exams be coming out?

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I remember there wasn't anything older than ~10 years on the test.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    That has been my biggest frustration with studying for the A+ - "Well, you're not really going to see this but here is some more information to cram down your already overwhelmed brain..."

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Exam Cram (6th Edition): David L. Prowse: 9780789749710: Amazon.com: Books has all the material in the tests and is to the point. It's what I used after giving up on Mike Meyers book a few chapters in.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    techfiend wrote: »
    CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Exam Cram (6th Edition): David L. Prowse: 9780789749710: Amazon.com: Books has all the material in the tests and is to the point. It's what I used after giving up on Mike Meyers book a few chapters in.

That was my problem the first go 'round. Mike Myers book is full of useful information when you need it. There are very few people who will sit down and read that entire book cover-to-cover. Honestly, it's the most intimidating book I've ever attempted to read.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+