Options

What to do

slee335slee335 Member Posts: 124
Hi i have question i might have a hypothetical question i might get a job as a field tech job that travel around the city to fix printer switches and firewall that pays more then what i'm making now but its not the direction i want to go with my career. but the current position i have suck i don't do much and i feel like i'm getting dumber. has rotating shift schedule every two week. but its close to my house i can walk to work. i don't like to keep jumping job that much. if i take it and jump again in a year does that look bad or is it better to stay and find the right one. some days the rotation shift get to me so much i want to quit.

Cliff Chase the money or chase the career also does jumping around every year look good or no?

Comments

• Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    If the experience at the higher paying job is useless, then don't take it. If you are going to leave your current job, do it for a job that will look good on your CV where you will learn a lot
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If its not what you want to do, then don't do it. Sounds like you just need to apply to more jobs and find something you like.

But if you really want to get out of the current job fast and are ok with working at something you don't want to do for a year that is fine. Jumping around jobs is very common in IT and only one year at company is fine. As long as you don't do it like 5 years in a row.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sound like a good gig unless you dont want to dog out your car. Heck i decline offers for jobs that wass not what I desire but was paying more. But it depends on how much interest your drawing. Of course in my case I was drawing a lot of interest and yea the job I landed is paying less than the others but the experience they will offer is worth it.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nster wrote: »
    If the experience at the higher paying job is useless, then don't take it. If you are going to leave your current job, do it for a job that will look good on your CV where you will learn a lot

Agreed. I have a friend of mine who took a job with a company as their IT person only to find out he was a glorified copier repair person. If your going to be driving around fixing things at clients locations drive the hard bargain to really get your monies worth for considering it such as: Assigned company car, travel reimbursement, educational reimbursement, etc.

I will say this, no one is going to tell you how many hours your going to be working but expect it to be far more than your average desk job as you get a call across town on a friday and your stuck driving through hours of traffic.

Last point ill make is if they offer educational reimbursement then maybe consider it so they can pay for you to go to school?
    If its not what you want to do, then don't do it. Sounds like you just need to apply to more jobs and find something you like.
    But if you really want to get out of the current job fast and are ok with working at something you don't want to do for a year that is fine. Jumping around jobs is very common in IT and only one year at company is fine. As long as you don't do it like 5 years in a row.

If you hate your job, leaving for money is the worst decision you will ever make. Money will end up being the only reason you are there and that quickly looses its glimmer as you hate your new job even worse than the last one. Again, make sure that there is some silver lining to the benefits.

Job hopping is expected and normal for top performing candidates because they recognize that their time is valuable and bail when they find a new challenge. The days of spending 30-40 years at the same company are gone since most companies won't last that long these days. It is far more acceptable early in your career as you figure out what you want to do and work towards getting there.