Options

MSISA Complete!

2»

Comments

• Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    So MSISA in 7 weeks. That is 12 classes in 49 days. 49/12. So you averaged a little over 4 days per class. Quite impressive!

I'm gonna have to turn in my assignment now haha.
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the positive feedback, I'm not trying to play down the value of the MSISA, if I wasn't already in the field / having certifications matching the program I'm positive it would have been much longer and more of a learning process.

I tried to do as many classes as possible, I did 3 in one week, and some took a little longer.

http://i.imgur.com/K2Tkyoj.jpg - also here is the proof I was asked for, terms are 25 weeks long and I still have 18 weeks remaining (this was taken today so it was closer to 6 and a half weeks)
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    The only negative thing I'd say is sometimes it was too easy to just throw something together that was close to the topic (for example a paper about ISO standards) and then taskstream graders would tell you what was good what was bad etc.. and you have unlimited retries (at least I think you do) WGU can't change that model, but it can be exploited where I could potentially have 8 papers in Taskstream at the same time, make small changes per the graders comments, re-submit and repeat. I'm not sure how it would change but possibly forcing the mentors to slow down the students would be the answer, albeit not one I'd agree with. With every class but 3 requiring papers you could potentially write up and complete all of them in a few weeks.

• Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    WTF! Damn, well I guess I have no excuse now. I better enroll and just get it done. I have about 3-4 hours I can put in at work, is that about the time you had?
  • Options
    About that yes. Then some nights and weekends, I tried to do a paper a day but sometimes it took 2-3 days a paper. Then I studied all weekend for the CEH using their videos (provided by EC|Council) + some CBT Nuggets to kind of reinforce, took both tests in the same week and the capstone took about 2 weeks total.

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I gotta say, the OP got me motivated. I submitted and passed 2 papers since Monday. Hoping to submit a third one tonight or tomorrow.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    nelson8403 wrote: »
    The only negative thing I'd say is sometimes it was too easy to just throw something together that was close to the topic (for example a paper about ISO standards) and then taskstream graders would tell you what was good what was bad etc.. and you have unlimited retries (at least I think you do) WGU can't change that model, but it can be exploited where I could potentially have 8 papers in Taskstream at the same time, make small changes per the graders comments, re-submit and repeat. I'm not sure how it would change but possibly forcing the mentors to slow down the students would be the answer, albeit not one I'd agree with. With every class but 3 requiring papers you could potentially write up and complete all of them in a few weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/K2Tkyoj.jpg
    Ok, something don't look right with that picture. I'm in the MS ISA program and its only 30 CUs...why does your picture show 53/53 CUs? I also do not see the program of study in the picture either. If you can share how that looks without your name or mentor...then I would find it more convincing. I'm not saying you are lying, but this just does not look right to me.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd agree with cyber guy it's not that I didn't learn anything, but this degree just reinforced the things I did know, now I can say I have my masters even though most of the information coming from the degree was just a refresher.

I could say the same for many of the classes in a traditional B&M college. At least for the first 2 years. Very much a refresher and very little new material learned. For many colleges, they teach to someone with zero experience and knowledge. They go from the ground up. For someone with knowledge and experience, much of it is material you already know.

Masters? Depends on your knowledge level. Straight out of high school and doing a BS & MS - most of it would be new and you'd learn a lot. After some time in the industry, or doing it as a hobby? It will probably be less learning and more review.

Congrats, man! I start the program May 1st, and hope to finish in a single term if I can!
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Ok, something don't look right with that picture. I'm in the MS ISA program and its only 30 CUs...why does your picture show 53/53 CUs? I also do not see the program of study in the picture either. If you can share how that looks without your name or mentor...then I would find it more convincing. I'm not saying you are lying, but this just does not look right to me.
    It's not like he has anything to prove, nor does anyone here really question (or care) if he is lying. I'm guessing it has to do with perhaps passing a bachelor's right before
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□

The portal is messed up for continuing education students. My portal also shows 53 total CU's. I reported to tech support over a month ago and they still haven't fixed it.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Yeah, it appears that CU's isn't correct on the portal, mine just jumped to 75/75 CU's when I checked today so it's definitely bugged, but if I had classes left to do it would still show the full CU's required for the degree.

I just made this to show what is possible and also see what users' opinions were in completing a degree that quickly what employers might think of it.

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just made this to show what is possible and also see what users' opinions were in completing a degree that quickly what employers might think of it.

I wouldn't say how long it took you. If you say you completed a masters that quick, it might devalue it. Regardless of how much time you put into it and how much you busted your ass, it's not conventional. Online schools are already a tough sell. Go with an online school with a quick finish, and it looks sketchy. How much did you learn? How valuable is it, really? It has to be super easy to get it that fast, etc... Those are what people think in some of these threads, so I am sure an employer would share some of those opinions.