Options

How do you prepare for 1st interview (phone with HR)?

Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
I made it through the resume screening for what could be a pretty sweet work-from-home job for a company that provides IT security products. First up is the phone interview with an HR rep.

What do you do in order to prepare for these interviews? Any tips you can provide?

I've never done an interview over the phone and have started gathering lists of possible questions that might be asked. I'm going to try to come up with answers that are about 30 - 90 seconds in length. Print that out along with my resume, the job listing, and have a notepad handy. Maybe a **** sheet for resume items that might relate to the opening and a short explanation, in case they come up. Will they touch on that stuff or will it be more of the philosophical BS questions?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to come up with questions now to ask tomorrow so I look like I am ready.

Comments

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there's not really much to prepare. Just remember, HR isn 't technical, so don't try to give them high level stuff....just give them a broad sense of what you've done in your current & previous roles.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its HR so they are going to ask availability questions, work history, maybe a few low level tech questions.
    Just sound really positive and excited and try to make them laugh.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This here . I agree never go into great detail unless they ask you too. Most of the time the technical questions they ask come from a pool of questions. If its not on the sheet they may think its wrong.

But in general dont seem hesitant to answer a question or the fact you dont know due to the fact you never supported a technology.
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    From experience HR interviews have always been open ended, so they generally wont ask you a yes or no question and will make notes based on your answers for review by the hiring manager.

i.e. What experience do you have with windows 2012
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Tell them Bill Gates is your uncle. icon_wink.gif - if they have no idea who he is, that gauges their technical aptitude icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. Overall I'd say it went alright. I did make her laugh a few times that has to be a plus. I did ramble on a few times so we shall see. She said I should hopefully hear back around Tuesday/Wednesday.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What was the quesrions ask ? Pretty much easy to mid level questions ?
  • Options
    IIIMaster wrote: »
    What was the quesrions ask ? Pretty much easy to mid level questions ?
    Pretty basic HR type questions. Not really any way to prepare for it. You could gather 200 questions and create a **** sheet and still no be prepared. Practice the "so tell me about when you had to deal with...", the self-reflection "whats your greatest/weakest...?", and really research the company, their products, awards, philosophies, culture, etc. Show your interest in them.

I'm on to round 2!

EDIT: can't say "**** sheet"?