Win 98

t4echot4echo Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,
I have been studying for the a+ os and have been getting alot of questions for the win98 os. Should I pay that much attn to this os? I would think that I would get more questions on 2000/XP and NT. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would put a focus on XP/2000, but you should know 98 anyway. Some companies may still run it, heck one of my customers still uses Win 3.1, as a thin client! You don't have to make it your top priority, but don't neglect it either.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    You're totally right Ricka, but the thing I don't get is..WHY?? Why do people still use Win98 or older in their networks? It makes no sense to me icon_mad.gif . These people are just asking for security problems. Being cheap about it just doesn't get it. icon_lol.gif
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gravyjoe wrote:
    You're totally right Ricka, but the thing I don't get is..WHY?? Why do people still use Win98 or older in their networks? It makes no sense to me icon_mad.gif . These people are just asking for security problems. Being cheap about it just doesn't get it. icon_lol.gif

It's because to legally upgrade all your systems properly you have to have the coin. Microsoft licensing is not cheap and that is the reason there are so many networks still using older OS's.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    gravyjoe wrote:
    You're totally right Ricka, but the thing I don't get is..WHY?? Why do people still use Win98 or older in their networks?
    A common reason is that they use custom applications that were written for DOS for example and behave differently or don't function at all on newer windows versions. And I guess many make the mistake of thinking that as long as it doesn't have a direct internet connection security is not an issue.
  • WpizziWpizzi Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The thing that I have seen is that companys that still use the old OS's are for many reasons.

One they don't want to change.
    Two for the reasons stated above.
    Three they still work so why worry about it.

When I was interviewing for a job I went on tours of the companys. There were still companys out there using OS/2 Warp. There was even a company still using the early style hard drives. I am not talking the over sized 5.25 looking drives. I am talking about the 150 pound hard drives that look like a 8U server sitting there.
    William A Pizzi

Founding Member of RRORC
    www.rrorc.com
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    gravyjoe wrote:

Exactly as it has been stated by the others!!

The companies don't have the money or don't want to invest the money. NOt only in software but probably hardware too.

Tough to convince some people to change something that 'works'.

As a repair technician, you can always make the distinction you only service systems that are 'current' or will service them until they break beyond resonible service repair (you may lose business too, its a trade-off....the ones I've seen using it, just don't have a lot of need to have a fancy calculator at their desk so they keep what they have with the occassionaly replaced PS, HDD or Atapi device.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?