Options

WGU Health Informatics?

daristotledaristotle Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I'm currently wrapping up an associates degree and am gearing up for a bachelors. I've been looking at the Health Informatics degree at WGU, but have some questions.
* What are people's general experiences?
* What are some tips on maximizing what got transferred in? I already have the Project+ and Healthcare IT Technician certs, but should I knock out some CLEP exams as well to speed things up?
* For those that have received this degree already, has it generally been worth it? Do employers value it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work in the Healthcare industry as an Info Security Officer, and Health care is definitely a good field to be in, but my advice is to have your degree in something generic in case you ever want to not do a Healthcare setting.
    I'd suggest IT Business MGMT, or even Info Security. Then get certs in Security and maybe even the CISA (auditing). Healthcare now is focusing on security, auditing, compliance, et cetera.
    This way, you are covering yourself in many areas, and still look good for Healthcare industries.

I am finishing up the IT Business Mgmt degree at WGU this year, and Project+ is part of the degree, so you would have that done. WGU offers a great program, so you can't go wrong by looking at their programs.

Healthcare, as you prob have heard with Anthem and others, is really gearing up hard on Security, so you cannot go wrong with understanding BUSINESS and SECURITY for that realm. If you haven't spoken with a WGU rep yet, they will give you the best advice on what transfers.
  • Options
    ksilveyksilvey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work in IT in healthcare, and my current employer is BSN preferred for Informaticists. It may not be that way for all hospitals/healthcare providers.