Options

Ignorance!!!!!

1Ste1Ste Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am the Member Ste
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=64223&hl=\

"What is the name of the setup you enter to change settings such as overclocking?"

That is the Poll Question, The answer we all Know is the CMOS Setup, which I said.

Then why in the hell did 50 People vote BIOS?

I got flamed and insulted for saying the correct answer.
Working for Network+, Server+, CCNA, Security+, CCNP, CCIE. MCSE.

Bachelors Degree in computer information Systems.

Wanna help?

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1Ste wrote:
    I am the Member Ste
    http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=64223&hl=\

"What is the name of the setup you enter to change settings such as overclocking?"

That is the Poll Question, The answer we all Know is the CMOS Setup, which I said.

Then why in the hell did 50 People vote BIOS?

Sorry, but if you said CMOS then that is incorrect. Settings are changed in the BIOS.
  • Options
    Not according to many A+ practice tests, My A+ Books and My A+ Teacher.

What the hell is wrong with you people, Comptia said it, Im just the messenger!

I have actualy Had A+ practice tests where I got a question similar to the polls question and the correct answer was the CMOS Setup!.

Look I even found it in this sites tech Notes

"CMOS settings can be changed in the CMOS Setup, which can mostly be"

Wanna help?
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    The BIOS is the program that starts a computer up, and the CMOS is where the BIOS stores the date, time, and system configuration details it needs to start the computer.

The BIOS is a small program that controls the computer from the time it powers on until the time the operating system takes over. The BIOS is firmware, which means it cannot store variable data.

CMOS is a type of memory technology, but most people use the term to refer to the chip that stores variable data for startup. A computer's BIOS will initialize and control components like the floppy and hard drive controllers and the computer's hardware clock, but the specific parameters for startup and initializing components are stored in the CMOS.
  • Options
    I know that you change settings in the CMOS, you don't actually change anything in the BIOS, the BIOS looks to the CMOS Memory when started up. Which is why the correct answer to the polls question is CMOS Setup.

AND if it isn't you need to change the Tech notes here.

Wanna help?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ummmm ... I think it is BIOS as well.

I always thought the CMOS is the chip that stores the BIOS settings?
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    haha 1Ste i guess you are the only one who really knows, everyone else *must* be wrong.
    witty comment
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    1Ste wrote:
    That's what you get when you call people retarted...

and the next time you post a comment like this one here you will get banned. In case you forgot, this is a professional forum.
    1Ste wrote:
    What the hell is wrong with you people, Comptia said it, Im just the messenger!

Having said that, the problem lies in the poll's question. There is a big difference between BIOS and CMOS, as you seem to understand, and seuss_ssues explained, and is explained in my TechNotes as well (and here's another good one http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios1.htm ).

There is however, no difference between "BIOS setup" and "CMOS setup". Both terms are interchangable and denote exactly the same thing (the setup tool/gui used to change settings in the CMOS, which the BIOS can read). Even the BIOS manufacturers use both term interchangable, but BIOS setup is more common (also mentioned at the top of the screen in an actual BIOS setup.

See award.com for example or check the B in:
    www.ami.com/support/glossary.cfm

I.o.w. both options in the poll are correct (and irrelevant to the A+ exam, as CompTIA wants you to know the difference between CMOS and BIOS, not between "CMOS setup" or "BIOS setup").
  • Options
    icon_sad.gif I guess ignorance is really contagious.

The CMOS Setup is the correct term for the question in the poll because no Changes can be made to the BIOS, the BIOS looks to the CMOS memory for configuration information. When you access the CMOS Setup. YOUR NOT CHANGING ANYTHING IN THE BIOS. Your changing the CMOS, therefore the Tech notes on this site and Comptia Tech notes are correct when relating to that question.

Its not hard to understand, BIOS can't be changed, looks to CMOS for settings, CMOS can be accessed and changed, therefore CMOS Setup.

Ah screw this, you say what want, and Ill use what Comptia says.

Wanna help?
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1Ste

I suggest that you take a chill pill dude. While you are technically correct in that when entering the setup you are in fact entering CMOS setup it has been common to call it entering the BIOS and BIOS setup. It is far better to point this out with some information to back this up - such as ...
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000707.htm rather than call people retarded or insult people in a similar manner.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    totally agree with u there Russ......
  • Options
    Maybe we should put some of those on the market together with our energy drink ;)

I'm just going to assume that he posted his reply while I was posting mine and didn't read it.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    While I do see your point you need to accept that over the years things go by a certain name and everyone gets used to it....

I've always known the setup as the BIOS setup but I know that CMOS Setup means the same thing when they are talking about changing system settings.

Here is an example:
    RAID
    Redundant array of inexpensive disks
    or
    Redundant array of independent disks

Both are correct however I think most people refer to inexpensive or at least that is what I've always heard to it reffered as.
  • Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    Time for my two cents worth of comments...

To get technical, the CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor) does not actually exist in modern day computers. Instead, what we know today as "CMOS" is merely a type of ROM (Read Only Memory) chip on the motherboard. This ROM chip actually stores the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) system settings.

Upon first booting (turning on) your computer, the BIOS actually reads and loads the configuration information from the "CMOS" ROM chip... The BIOS is basically just a Graphical User Interface (GUI) for the "CMOS" ROM chip...

I would also like to add that stating the "CMOS" chip is a ROM only chip is technically incorrect. The "CMOS" chip stores all BIOS system settings, and those settings can be changed. Therefore, the "CMOS" chip is actually more of a RAM (Random Access Memory) chip, which allows both read and write commands...

As for the question of where would you alter specific settings to overclock your processor (CPU) and/or memory (which is also RAM), the correct answer is technically the BIOS. The BIOS loads information from the "CMOS chip (upon system startup), and the BIOS is where you actually make changes to system settings. Those settings are then saved on the "CMOS" chip. So fourth and so on...

More information:
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CMOS.html
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/BIOS.html

And to support the comments above from Megadeth;
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

- Joey
  • Options
    Pretty much correct OpenSource.
    I think the one thing that some people have difficulty with is that the BIOS (basic input/output system) is just a mini OS for the CMOS chip and that it in itself does not hold the data. You calling the CMOS chip RAM is really not that correct as they are usually CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) - there are many arguments about this and I myself consider it a form of EPROM (which is what many older machines used anyways).
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Pretty much correct OpenSource.

Thanks...

I think the one thing that some people have difficulty with is that the BIOS (basic input/output system) is just a mini OS for the CMOS chip and that it in itself does not hold the data.

Good analogy for the BIOS being a "mini-OS" for the "CMOS" chip. That is basically the fundamental idea...

You calling the CMOS chip RAM is really not that correct as they are usually CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) - there are many arguments about this and I myself consider it a form of EPROM (which is what many older machines used anyways).

As for my comments regarding "CMOS" as being a form of RAM, I suppose your statement about EPROM would indeed be a better way (a more correct way) of putting it. The "CMOS" chip is indeed more of an EPROM type chip, rather then a RAM chip...

I think many of us have somewhat forgotten about EPROM technology, which is why I suppose it didn't come to mind in my previous statement...

- Joey
  • Options
    If the answer to the Polls Questions Is BIOS Setup then Why Does Comptia Call it the CMOS Setup.

Wanna help?
  • Options
    Comptia has many areas that a lot of those in the field disagree with and there have been many arguments over various areas in the A+ and other exams. It is pretty much like when you are doing Microsoft certifications and Microsoft expects things to be done a certain way which you will never do in the real world.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    1Ste wrote:
    If the answer to the Polls Questions Is BIOS Setup then Why Does Comptia Call it the CMOS Setup.

Pardon my asking, but are you actually reading anything anyone has actually posted? I'm not trying to insult you, believe me, but I feel your question has been more than answered, and more than once at that...

// EDIT:

In addition, I would like to add the following;

#1. Why are you asking us why CompTIA says this or says that. I think that is perhaps something you direct towards CompTIA. I doubt anyone here is part of CompTIA and has anything to do with creating the exams.

#2. From what I can recall, CompTIA exams are created by groups of industry experts whom agree upon certains questions, answers and terminology. Not to bash anyone here, but I'm fairly sure they know quite a bit more then we do.

#3. You continue to state "CompTIA says this or says that", but you have yet to actually provide any proof of anything CompTIA has stated. Where are you getting your material? A book? Magazine? Website? E-mail?... It would help to provide some type of "evidence" to further "assist" your repeated statements...

- Joey
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    1Ste wrote:
    icon_sad.gif I guess ignorance is really contagious.

Man, you have no respect! Seriously, you're the student trying to learn. You are asking people who have already passed the exam, and you still think you're 100% right!??! But, you are not 100% wrong either. People are just trying to help. Good luck finding a true professional that would care that much about something as small as Bios/Cmos, and or how to make changes. Everyone knows what you're talking about, and there is no need to be so **** about it! If you were a technician, and you were told to OC a system by changing the BIOS; go ahead and correct your boss, you'll probably get fired. The physical part of each is different, but the terms are interchangeable, they refer to the same gui to make changes to system settings. Seriously, if you get this amped up over a stinkin cmos/bios, you have a lot to fear in IT.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    A famous Andalusian theologian once said that those who don't know something are two types:

1- Those who don't know, and know that they don't know; for those, he said: give knowledge for they are the true seekers

2-Those who don't know, but don't know that they don't know; those, he said, are the selfrighteous and ignorant: keep your distance.

So don't go about calling people ignorant. Contain yourself and thy anger and 'learn' from those who know more than you. If you don't like what they say, it’s simple: buzz off. Flaming has no station in this world of professionalism.

And in case you forgot, every time you point a finger at someone, you’re actually pointing three fingers at yourself.

Let’s be cool

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    OpenSource wrote:
    1Ste wrote:

Pardon my asking, but are you actually reading anything anyone has actually posted? I'm not trying to insult you, believe me, but I feel your question has been more than answered, and more than once at that...

// EDIT:

In addition, I would like to add the following;

#1. Why are you asking us why CompTIA says this or says that. I think that is perhaps something you direct towards CompTIA. I doubt anyone here is part of CompTIA and has anything to do with creating the exams.

#2. From what I can recall, CompTIA exams are created by groups of industry experts whom agree upon certains questions, answers and terminology. Not to bash anyone here, but I'm fairly sure they know quite a bit more then we do.

#3. You continue to state "CompTIA says this or says that", but you have yet to actually provide any proof of anything CompTIA has stated. Where are you getting your material? A book? Magazine? Website? E-mail?... It would help to provide some type of "evidence" to further "assist" your repeated statements...

- Joey

I Have read everything that was posted.

I did show you proof, It is said in our tech notes which I can only hope is taken from Comptia Written books.
    I have also read in in my Thomson A+ Book, and My A+ Teacher whom is certified said the answer to the polls question is the CMOS Setup.

I just don't understand why people call it the BIOS Setup if a Bunch of people smarter then us (Comptia and other organizations, decided the answer was the CMOS Setup.

Its really confusing.

Wanna help?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    What's confusing is how minute of a detail this really is. I have asked people I work with, who have been doing computer work since before computers. The answer was divided, some said Bios, some said Cmos, and then they had their own argument, coming to the conclusion it doesn't matter what you call it, it's the same thing, or close enough.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Your right it really doesn't matter in the large sceme of things, but I care, I was insulted for giving the right Answer as defined by comptia.
    I know I shouldn't call people ignorant but its hard not to when everything you learned tells you its the CMOS Setup.

In the end people will say whatever they want and Ill say CMOS Setup. And we will all know it means the same thing.

I guess I should have asked it this way,
    What is the Answer to the polls question as defined by Comptia.?

Wanna help?
  • Options
    1St wrote:
    I did show you proof, It is said in our tech notes which I can only hope is taken from Comptia Written books
    The TechNotes are authored by me, based on my own knowledge, experience, and extensive research, which does not include taking information from existing study material (as there are more trustworthy sources and is illegal). We provide original study material. Apart from that, there are no 'CompTIA Written' books. CompTIA does not provide its own study material yet.

You say you have read the replies, but you seem to be missing the point. There is a big difference between the BIOS and the CMOS, which you obviously understand, and everyone seems to agree with you. But, there is no difference between "BIOS Setup" and "CMOS Setup".

The poll itself is just wrong for allowing a choice between "BIOS Setup" and "CMOS Setup". It does not ask about where the settings are stored, but where you change them, which makes both answers correct from any point of view.

Again, check "BIOS Setup" in the glossary of AMI (manufacturer of BIOSs so if you can't take it from them...):
    www.ami.com/support/glossary.cfm
    BIOS Setup
    A utility provided by BIOS in POST. This is where users change parameters that affect the BIOS & system configuration. Also known as CMOS Setup, since the data is stored in CMOS memory.

Google can help you out here too. Search for "BIOS setup" and for "CMOS setup" (including the quotes) and compare the number of results. (this is a very common method for techwriters to check whether a term is 'correct'). Too many results of both to say one is better than the other. But you can also see that the term "BIOS setup" is used more often.

Again, even the BIOS/CMOS manufacturers use both CMOS Setup and BIOS Setup to denote the same thing. Again, "BIOS setup" being more common. Just as "BIOS settings" is much more common than "CMOS settings", but both refer to the same thing. The reason I used the term "CMOS settings" in the TechNotes is because CompTIA lists "CMOS settings" in the exam objectives. I could just as well have used BIOS settings (as is more commonly used in technical documentation).
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    Maybe this thread should be locked to keep it from getting sucked into the Ste black hole as the thread in the "overclockers" forum did.
  • Options
    Maybe you are right, this topic has certainly been discussed more than enough already. So let's just leave it at this.
  • Options
    SpyWebSpyWeb Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Man, Just understand that BIOS setup and CMOS Setup are all the same.
    Look all the time you are wasting talking about CMOS and BIOS.
    We don't really use it anymore. Everything's now is PnP.
    If We were back on 1990... Probably a good Topic to discuss.
    SpyWeb.jpg

"I Had the Right Answers... The exam had the wrong questions!!!"
    SpyWeb
This discussion has been closed.