Updating Cisco IOS

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi ,
Can anyone plz tell me how to update Cisco IOS without using TFTP or FTP server?

With Best Regards

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    depends on the model router you have. You can update it by getting the correct IOS on a flash card and adding it to the boot statement. I'm not sure why you would want to not use TFTP or FTP, its pretty easy. I guess if you over a low speed link it could be a pain, but those days should be gone for the most part.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    TFTP is the easiest way to update, but with certain routers, all you have to do is format the CF card correctly and then insert and boot. Why don't you want to use TFTP to update????
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ha ha actually i know this might be a silly question but that's what I was asked,when I attended an Interview in British Telecom interview yesterday in Kolkata,India. And for a L0 /L1 validation process I was asked such silly things and even from topics which I have not read like from subjects covered in CCNP , when the interviewer knew I was only a CCNA certified! His main aim was to just to throw me out of the interview process. I wonder how come such silly people can be CCIE-certified. (Some silly guys in the interview room were saying that the interviewer is a double-CCIE!! lol) How can a double -CCIE be such a fool to ask only a CCNA certified guy with little experience, questions on uplinkfast, NSSA area !! I think the interviewer himself is not even CCNP certified and bragging about CCNP/CCIE.
    Anyways,thanks both of you but it is not yet clear to me. Ohh BTW he also told me when I replied to that "I can use a pendrive or USB drive", he said that it is not still correct as many or some older switches /routers didnt have a USB slot.

So just to clarify,do you mean ,if I dont use FTP/TFTP or USB ,then we use the "boot system flash" command to load from flash memory of the router or switch?

Thanks & Regards
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't recommend this way, but xmodem is a alternative...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/151336/loading-ios-switch-xmodem
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello Priston
    No I dont think that is the answer. The interviewer must have been looking for some traditional bookish method not any modern means. Hope you got me. Please forgive my poor English .

Regards
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the boot system flash command will only allow you to select which version of the ios to boot that has already been uploaded to the flash.
    there are other things like scp but that requires ssh capabilities which isn't on all (older) cisco equipment. So, i'd guess that is as wrong as using a usb flash drive.
    So, I'd have to go with xmodem as stated above. all you need is a laptop and a cable. takes a while but will work. And, every ccna should know about it.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I did this once just to do it and learn it. Definitely something I want to avoid. It's extremely slow. Works fine, though. So, in a pinch it works. Just don't want to resort to it when other options are available. :)
    Priston wrote: »

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Priston wrote: »

I've used this method in the past as well and it wasn't actually that bad, took like an hour or so to complete. I was expecting worse.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    p1xels wrote: »
    Hello Priston
    No I dont think that is the answer. The interviewer must have been looking for some traditional bookish method not any modern means. Hope you got me. Please forgive my poor English .

Regards
    xmodem is far from modern, it's been around since 1977. If you didn't learn about it in your CCNA studies, that's because it's not part of the curriculum anymore.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • webspiderwebspider Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi P1xels,
    After reading your post ,I also feel that person from BT(British Telecom) is either lying or he is not even a CCNP or else he is a FAKE "paper CCNP". The questions he asked is indeed very silly and to ask a CCNA guy with "little experience" questions from topics of CCNP is not prudent and a real CCIE or even a "real" CCNP won't judge a candidate by asking questions from CCNP which he has not yet studied.
    Yes you are quite right in saying that his main intention was to eliminate you anyhow or anyway. I am really surprised with the way a people in BT treated you! Such a big company has such bad people working ,it's shocking to hear that.
    MY ADVICE WILL BE DON'T ATTEND ANY FURTHER INTERVIEWS IN SUCH TYPE OF COMPANIES LIKE BRITISH TELECOM WHO ARE JUST TAKING SUCH FARCE INTERVIEWS AND DEPRIVING GENUINE CANDIDATES.

With Best Regards