Options

Go for CCNA before CCENT?

riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just saw a GREAT offer on a CCNA course but I have yet to get my CCENT cert and Im not even currently working on it. The thing is that it is a GREAT value and lifetime but I want to know if I can go straight to CCNA (R&S) or do I have to pass first the CCENT (basically is the recommended route CCENT and then CCNA)

Strictly network working experiences I have VERY little to almost none...

Comments

• Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some time ago there was no such thing as CCENT. Today, Cisco made things easier for techies to start a career in networking and have a flavour of it. Given your experience, I would recommend you start with CCENT. You need to have a solid foundations, and this will be the right time. Don't worry about CCNA. Focus on CCENT first. It will follow...
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Be careful of sales pitches such as "GREAT". There is plenty of information out there for studying and any offer you find this month will probably be available somewhere else next month.

I suggest studying at the appropriate pace for your learning and needs.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I noticed you have considered this for a couple years. I hope you finally decided the brain **** were not worth the raise.

I suggest you start with the CCENT if you don't have networking experience yet. You can also read a book on Network+ but you don't need to actually take the test. Just let it be part of your CCENT study material.

Good Luck!

07-24-2014 06:09 PM #34
    quote_icon.png Originally Posted by riahc3 viewpost-right.png
    Ive been thinking about doing brain ****; Here, once you reach a certain degree of knowledge (such as a cert), a company is obligated to pay you a bare minimum. So even if I do a brain **** and get the cert, and even if I stay at the same company doing the same things, that same company is obligated to give me a substantial raise even if Im in the same job position!

Although not ideal, in my current job, a brain **** might be interesting.

Thank you as always to all of you for your posts.

Some people are happy with whatever life gives them. Your level of motivation leads me to believe you you are probably a simple and happy person.

Good Luck with the big raise.

• Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you really want to learn Cisco, then as already stated, start with your CCENT. Then you can move on to your CCNA. If you want to get started on the cheap you can get Chris Bryant's CCENT/CCNA video series for $10.00 through March 31. Just click on the link below, it already has the coupon code applied.

https://www.udemy.com/ccna-on-demand-video-boot-camp/?ccManual=&dtcode=Mn1C5Xw2E5bS&couponCode=10achieve

Couple that with a book from either Todd Lammle or [FONT=&amp]Wendell Odom and a bunch of labbing and you are good to go. The lab does not have to be physical hardware, you can use GNS3 or Packet Tracer.[/FONT] Labbing will be the real key, this makes sure you know what you are studying.

I am currently using Chris Bryants videos, Todd Lammle's book and a small lab.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    KurokiKuroki Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why not just take the typical route and self study for it? You'd be able to do the exams and you'll probably find you may get a better experience by self studying for it. That's just my thought anyway.