Options

Toshiba satellite laptop wifi connectivity issues

bookishspiderbookishspider Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have had some issues with my toshiba laptop randomly disconnecting from the internet. At times it can be very frequent like every 10 minutes or so. A simple disable and enable usually does the trick but that isnt a solution to the problem. I live in a apartment and im close to the router so there isnt much interference in between me and the router. I have multiple devices connected to the wifi and the the toshiba seems to have the most problems. I have checked to see if there were any updates for the firmware on the nic and there was not. Not sure what to do next. Kind of hard to fix the issue since the problem is not consistent.

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Did you check to see if there are any driver updates for the wifi card?
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    Yeah and there were no updates
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Often times, when I have purchased laptops that did this, I just had to replace the wifi card, I keep an external usb wifi around for testing when I have having troubles, if I can get the usb to work correctly, then I will spend a couple of bucks and buy a new internal wifi card for the laptop. One thing to heck, is turn your laptop over and remove the cover where the wifi card is located and double check that both of the antenna wires are still hooked up, sometimes they will come loose over time and cause dropped signal problems.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My girlfriend had this problem and I think she has a Toshiba or HP. Driver was up to date. Ended up restoring it back a week to before it started happening and turning off automatic updates and it worked. Other people on the web had the same issues. Maybe not the best way to go about things but she didn't want to replace the adapter.
  • Options
    I ordered a small usb wifi adapter and im going to see if that works better....its only 20 bucks so figured it would be worth it if it helped
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are running Windows 8.x, try the following:

1. Go to Control Panel, click on Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center.
    2. On the left hand side, click on Change adapter settings.
    3. Right click on the wireless adapter and select Properties.
    4. In the upper third section of the Properties box that pops up you will see a button marked Configure... Click on it.
    5. The box that pops up will have five or so tabs. Click on the Power Management tab.
    6. If the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked, uncheck it, then click OK.

This should clear the problem. If so, try to return the wifi adapter you purchased.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I replaced my crappy WiFi card with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMCVKMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Made an incredible difference being able to make use of the 5Ghz band in my
    apartment complex crowded with 2.4Ghz AP's. Seriously, from 25 Mbps on the 2.4Ghz to 120 Mbps on the 5Ghz through my "100Mbps" connection. Best upgrade I've ever made to my laptop aside from an SSD.