Need Advice

Lord_ArcaneLord_Arcane Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this, but I was wondering does anyone have any advice on taking the OS exam. I just passed the hardware part and getting pysced up on the OS Technologies one. I would appreciate your advice thanks.

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Study accordingly. There are different objectives for each exam, but there may a little crossover. Take it seriously, use the pattern you used to pass the first exam, you should be ok. What books are using? They should be up-to-date.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Lord_ArcaneLord_Arcane Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm using A+ complete second edition by Sybex and doing online exams by Tech Exams and the ones that came with the book.
  • raiedraied Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Prepare for all Win OS's.

Focus on:
    1. Win 2K & xp
    A. Startup files
    B. Troubleshooting
    C. TCP/IP commands!!!
    2. Win 9x
    A. Startup files
    B. DOS command!!!
    3. Networking

Do lots of practice q's and understand why that answer is correct.

Good Luck.
  • Lord_ArcaneLord_Arcane Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ricka182 and raied thank you for the advice and I'll let you know how this goes in a couple of weeks when I get the money to take the test icon_twisted.gif
  • lizaliaslizalias Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    raied wrote:
    Do lots of practice q's and understand why that answer is correct.

i was going to say that. yea use the same system/technique you used to study for the hardware exam. and most importantly understand why that answer is correct and why the other ones werent. then focus on areas in which you did not do to good in the practise questions.

good luck bro
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Have as much hands-on experience as you can. Break things in the OS, fix them. Knowing how to answer questions alone doesn't fully measure one's knowledge. So don't limit yourself to only 1 book and some practice test.

Otherwise, prepare as you did for your first exam :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    Take all the practice exams you can find. Take them again and again until you Ace all the questions.
  • igor_yuriigor_yuri Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey man! I took my OS exam yesterday and passed!!

Here are some of the questions I remember:

1. About WINMSD command in Run box which gives you SystemInfo (same as MSINFO32 command)

2. Sysedit command(Run box). Will give you the ability to edit config.sys, autoexec.bat etc.

3. XCOPY command(DOS). A question that will copy all the files including empty folders. XCOPY*.* <drive:> /S /E. Please double check for yourself.

4. More on troubleshooting and practice practice exam dude! like jim_stasz comments.

g'luck!!