What should i memorize? How hard is the test?

drew4452862drew4452862 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have the basics down but how much BS is on the exam?

so far my flash cards will contain
classes subnets
osi model - what uses each layer
ports - popular programs
cable lengths and speeds
fiber connectors
smtp vs pop3 vs mx

tends to be what i sometimes get wrong on the practice tests. Also looking for more practice tests. Sucks that I get mid 70s every time. I can buy a lot with 277$.....

BS is defined as the annoying minutia that can be googled in 3 seconds but needs to be memorized for this exam. also how many questions are there?

Comments

• TylerBarrettTylerBarrett Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's been awhile since I sat for the exam, but from what I recall there was a number of questions on cable type/max length/connector used/single mode vs multimode/etc. Couple questions on wireless, couple Novell, couple Linux, couple Microsoft, etc. Little bit of everything. Biggest thing for me was the memorization of fibre and the various ends as I don't use fibre often.

Good luck
  • drew4452862drew4452862 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the help!

When you are reading the meyers book you wonder if the charts are necessary. From the practice tests they seem to be.

and i hear that about fiber. made the flash cards because i have seen it one time. you know for all those office networks 40km apart using one cable....
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All pf those were significant on my test. Subnetting caught me by surprise because neither exam cram or testout went into depth. Wireless is also a need to know item.

Have you tried ExamCompass | CompTIA Practice Exams practice tests? They were pretty good. I'd aim for 90%+ on the tests.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)