Options

Question about DHCP

showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've got some error while configuring dhcp in Packet Tracer (PT) which says in turn "client identifier (length vary)"

I searched for any useful information in dhcp rfc 2131 & could find smth, but got nothing of it.

"DHCP defines a new 'client identifier' option that is used to pass an
explicit client identifier to a DHCP server. This change eliminates the overloading of the 'chaddr' field in BOOTP messages, where 'chaddr' is used both as a hardware address for transmission of BOOTP reply messages and as a client identifier. The 'client identifier' is an opaque key, not to be interpreted by the server; for example, the 'client identifier' may contain a hardware address, identical to the contents of the 'chaddr' field, or it may contain another type of identifier, such as a DNS name. The 'client identifier' chosen by a DHCP client MUST be unique to that client within the subnet to which the client is attached. If the client uses a 'client identifier' in one message, it MUST use that same identifier in all subsequent messages, to ensure that all servers correctly identify the client."

Could you explain it in simple words, plz? What is a dhcp identifier?

And how to troubleshoot the problem?

I've attached some picture illustrating it screened in PT.

TIA.