Options

CBT Nuggets, worth it?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
Seems to me like CBT nuggest are quite expensive, BUT, I watched the subnetting portions of it and I really like the way the dude talks and how engaging he is, I can tell he loves the topic, although he does get off topic from time to time (It's a plus to me), I really like it.

I looked at the prices online, and 100 bucks a month?

Wow

Is there a cheaper way to get it?

My job has pluralsight and I have access to that, but trainsignal seems to be crap in my opinion. It's a severe crap shoot with what they have to offer and it seems like they offer a huge variety of programming, not networking and security, which is what I am looking for.

Comments

• Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CBT videos are great.
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    You're not going to pass an exam just off the videos, but they are worth the money. I watch all the videos for a given certification track and get a great overview. Then I hit the books. Doing this seems to help move through the book quicker as you have an understanding of the topic and can focus more on the details.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bgold87 is right. They're not enough to pass the exams but it certainly helps having someone explaining instead of you reading something. I usually hit the books first and then watch the nuggets. That way I only watch the nuggets that I feel I need more explanation on.
  • Options
    Oh, I know. I'm a very visual learner, but I have Lammle's book as well. I could not get back into subnetting using his technique so I found the older CBT nuggets on it and am able to subnet again with ease.

I thought, why not give the entire series a try as a supplement.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    The CBT Nuggets videos are decent, the ones on Udemy tend to be more real-world oriented and factual. However the video's like others have said are not your one-stop shop for exam preparation.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've used CBT Nuggets in the past and found them useful. Now, using Pluralsight ($29 monthly), MOOC's, and Youtube in addition to what books I have.
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    The work around is you can use the 7 day trial, setup via paypal. Then go into paypal and cancel it (you will still be good for the 7 days). when 7 days are up, use another email address and repeat.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For me, I don't pay for them (work does). They are very worth it for me. I use the study books for the main material. Add the CBT Nuggets, and it really fills in the gaps and gives another perspective on things (maybe they explain something different, and it works better that way). It's another resource to add to studying. I really enjoy them. Some of them (CCNA) are entertaining and easy to watch, too. Alone? They aren't enough to pass the exam. In addition to a good book? They add to the book and help reinforce some of the concepts. Plus, you get to see them do the configs and such on screen and follow along better than a few screenshots.
  • Options
    My current arsenal is Todds book and pluralsight as well as a udemy boot camp, but the udemy videos aren't as exciting as the cbt nuggets I've seen so far. I'm not just using one source.

Imo pluralsight is a giant clusterf***, pardon my language.
  • Options
    DillardoDillardo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I find CBT Nuggets to be concise and to the point. There were to many missing or incomplete topics in Plural Sight. Their videos are a great addition to reading materials.