Options

Help with lab equipment

nebojsa11nebojsa11 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
New to the IT field,need any helpful advise for buying lab equipment for studying to pass CCNA exam.
What would be the cheap way to go,or should i consider buying better stuff so i can use them for CCNP too?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forum.

CCNP is a nice goal but if your just starting you can't really predict if or when you might study for it.

I would start small.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Ok,thanks,can you tell me wich switch or router to check maybe?
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How much is your budget? I have 3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 2x Cisco 2950 Switches and Cisco 3560 PoE Switch in a 12u rack. By the time all was said and done I spent around $375.00 for everything.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    I would spend up to $500 the most,just starting off,is that what i would need of equipment and were did you shop?
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got my switches and the 12u rack from ebay. The 3 routers and all the cables I bought off of a fellow Tech Exams member.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    It's an OK deal.

2950s are cheap, as in you can get 3 for under $100 easy.
    2811s you can get for around 60 each if you wait / look for the right deal (instead you can look for 1841s, smaller and not as loud and less power usage)
    3550 poe are OK, not great but can be easily purchased for under $100 each. Keep in mind these won't work with newer POE VoIP end points if you'll get into voice. Even 7975 won't work with these, I recommend going with 3560+
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would probably start with a single 2950 and a single 1841. They will allow you to see everything in the command line you need. Once you start studying you will quickly decide if you need more. I like gear so I bought a lab for home and I use GNS3 and packet tracer. The simulators are easier and faster but there are other benefits to real equipment.

Something to keep in mind.
    No kit is cheap. You pay for the convenience which is a reasonable expectation. Look at what kits are including and then price out the parts. It's a great way to learn about the equipment too.
  • Options
    Great,thanks for the answers.