Options

To Self Learn or Wait...That is the Question!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Got accepted for my Masters in Applied Computer Science and hit a bit of a wall. I have to take pre-reqs and that got me thinking about something. When I was in school to become an EMT there is always talk about becoming a Paramedic. With that came the two schools of thought: be an EMT for a year or two and then become a Paramedic. The other school says finished the EMT-B and then go right for the Paramedic before you pick up any bad habits. It seems that programming could fall down that same road. So, knowing I will be taking some programming pre-reqs, is it wise to start learning a language on my own? I just don't want to pick up bad habits that will take time to get rid of later.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I have seen learning some before you start wouldn't hurt. There are coding bad habits but most can be broke when you learn the right way to do something. In the mean time you learn proper syntax for the languages.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's always beneficial to start self studying, trust me when I say this, but most of the good programming books do practice good programming habits. The bad programming habits start when people think they know everything or when they think that they will be the only ones supporting an application through it lifestyle. Do not worry about bad habits and even if you do such a thing, you will realize it when you take your classes and you will correct it.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Hwre's the deal with programming. Unless you plan on working on embedded systems or at Google you only need to understand a few things.

Products like snapchat, uber, ect. Are all programatically very simple. You have the model view controller foundation.

You have a solid view with html5 responsive setups or jquery mobile. Thus first learn html5/CSS/Jquery stack. Very easy to do.

Then you have your models this exist typically on the server they will be you java/C# ect code that does the backend stuff db tie ins and object instantiation.

Your controller processes the flow between views and models. This typically is a c# or java program.

There is a reason I focused on web apps as they are all the rage.

Now I know you focus on analytics anf algorithims to that end focus on py. Learn loops, functions, classes, methods. If you understand loops arrays, try/catch, and functions you eill be solid.

Just realize functions are the actions (verbs) classes/variables are the nouns that use the verbs. Get some pattern books for the language you like and see how others code.

But by all means master the mvc /web apps and database CRUD as those three things make money.
  • Options
    Awesome thanks for the advice guys!!!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    No problem. I would recommend the Murach book series. Grab the one on Java or C#. That will get you up to speed on all of the fundamentals, Variable types, functions, classes, methods, sync/async, LINQ, ect.
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to add, since you play in the analytics world with py and R. You will need to get used to the differences between a compiled and non-compiled language (e.g C# vs Python).
  • Options
    Yeah my goal is to work with Python and Java as them seem like the most documented languages for the things I will be doing. Thanks again!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Here ya go brother. This is one way to learn, and you get paid to learn at the same time, I've been seriously considering doing some of the web app jobs.

https://www.elance.com/r/jobs/cat-it-programming/q-data%20science