Options

Putty colors

jabokimjabokim Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi!

Is there a way in Putty to have the color of the text you type a different color than the output text?

Also, any other Putty settings/tips/tricks that you like more than default?

Comments

• Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    My tip is, don't use putty, get Royal TS if you are working from Terminals a lot.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    yes, there is setting you can use to alter the outcome of the font and color. PuTTy is perfectly fine, however there is so many telnet programs out there it's not even funny. I would hope so since it's be around nearly 30 years icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Under Window -> Lines of scrollback - I always change this to something like 5000. This will allow you to scroll back a lot more. You can also set it to log the entire session, which can be handy.

Also, I do not see way to change the color of output vs input text. Seems like it's all or nothing to me. I like white on black just fine, though.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Putty seems basic.
    like using ssh from Mac, but do have problem sometimes with needing certain keys.
    on the Mac, I can get all kinds of cool combos.

thanks for suggestion other than putty, I may check out.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    Putty seems basic.
    like using ssh from Mac, but do have problem sometimes with needing certain keys.
    on the Mac, I can get all kinds of cool combos.

thanks for suggestion other than putty, I may check out.

Putty is far from basic, you just need to know all the settings haha.

I do prefer xShell Enterprise myself though.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Buy SecureCRT - some of the best money I have ever spent on software. TeraTerm is also pretty good, and free.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    wes allen wrote: »
    Buy SecureCRT - some of the best money I have ever spent on software. TeraTerm is also pretty good, and free.

I previously used SecureCRT for a long time, Royal TS is half the price and so much better.
    There is a free version, but only allows you to have up to 10 connections.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    jabokim wrote: »
    Hi!

Is there a way in Putty to have the color of the text you type a different color than the output text?

Also, any other Putty settings/tips/tricks that you like more than default?

1. Under Terminal > Features > Check the box "Disable destructive backspace on server sending ^?".

2. Under Connection > Data > Auto-login username (enter your username).

3. Download AutoHotKey > set hot keys for commonly used commands. This will allow you to run multiple commands from a script by pushing two buttons (or 1 if you want, not recommended) and it gets entered into your putty session.