Options

Question regarding encrypting level 5 passwords for line console 0

johnschroeder23johnschroeder23 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can you encrypt a level 5 password for line console 0? The only other way I have found to encrypt all passwords is the service password-encryption. Is there a way to enable the secret for the line console 0 and line vty 0 15 ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    create a username/password then set the line console with a local login
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Remember the service encryption isn't even that strong it is just helpful if somebody is glancing over your shoulder or at the config. User accounts with parser views and custom privileges is better than having just an enable secret.
  • Options
    johnschroeder23johnschroeder23 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The problem when I create a username/password is that it is in clear text. I can enable the service password-encryption, but i want it to be stronger than level 7 which is only what the service password-encryption provides.

Is there any way to make the line console login and password encrypted with level 5 (MD5/or SHA-256)?

Thanks,
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you create a user/password with username user password password you can do a level 7 password.
    but if you use a different attribute than password you can do a level 5 password. Just use the proper attribute.
    of course, the hardware and/or ios version might not support a level 5 password.