Options

Security Certs Prices & Pearson Vue

wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just trying to gauge who self studies and pays for the certs themselves or who gets work to pay for them

My work will just about pay for Microsoft certs so looks like I'll be paying for them myself but my God they're expensive in the UK once you've got the initial exam cost effective the cissp is £415 person vue I've to add more so the exam costs £485/490 same for the ceh I can believe they get away with it

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just trying to gauge who self studies and pays for the certs themselves or who gets work to pay for them

My work will just about pay for Microsoft certs so looks like I'll be paying for them myself but my God they're expensive in the UK once you've got the initial exam cost effective the cissp is £415 person vue I've to add more so the exam costs £485/490 same for the ceh I can believe they get away with it

I always thought IT people are smart individuals that pay attention to detail. Considering you have passed all those certifications and looking to add more, I would assume you know how to read and write properly. Not trying to be the grammar police of TE but use some commas or periods man. It will make your life easier.
  • Options
    Just a bit of advise for you unless you have something positive to say then please remove yourself from my conversation I have no time for people like you so run along and go and play elsewhere
  • Options
    Just a bit of advise for you unless you have something positive to say then please remove yourself from my conversation I have no time for people like you so run along and go and play elsewhere
    People will have no time for you either if they don't understand what you are trying to say. That's an advice to you.
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    People will have no time for you either if they don't understand what you are trying to say. That's an advice to you.

I wish you wouldn't have time for me as you're boring the life out of me right now good bye *****

Also talking about grammar.... "That's an advice to you" what the hell speak English please
  • Options
    I wish you wouldn't have time for me as you're boring the life out of me right now good bye *****

Also talking about grammar.... "That's an advice to you" what the hell speak English please

Really? What part of my post did you not understand? I'm trying to help you here by making you sound more intelligent. Learn to take criticism for the things you are wrong, you will go far like that. And just an fyi to you, the reason I have yet to answer the topic is because I cannot even make sense of what you are saying.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think he is asking who pays for their own certifications vs who has the option of having their employer pay for their certifications.

My current company does not pay for any certifications, but they do pay for college degrees. My last company, where I attained a lot of certifications, paid for them all.

Out of all of my certifications I had to pay for two. I paid for CEH, and OSCP.
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Really? What part of my post did you not understand? I'm trying to help you here by making you sound more intelligent. Learn to take criticism for the things you are wrong, you will go far like that. And just an fyi to you, the reason I have yet to answer the topic is because I cannot even make sense of what you are saying.

I'll let you have the last word as I'm done going back and forth with you
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I think he is asking who pays for their own certifications vs who has the option of having their employer pay for their certifications.

My current company does not pay for any certifications, but they do pay for college degrees. My last company, where I attained a lot of certifications, paid for them all.

Out of all of my certifications I had to pay for two. I paid for CEH, and OSCP.

Thanks for the reply appreciated that's the kind of reply I wanted
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My former employer reimbursed for my CCNA and my current employer reimbursed for CCNA/P Security and CISSP. My current employer also pays for training. I've done boot camps for CISSP and Cisco firewall. Taking my first SANS training in May fully paid for. But there is a limit per year so my boss won't reimburse if I pursue CISA in 2015. The CISO also will not reimburse for certs that he feels aren't necessary for my role (CCIE Security, CEH) so I would have to pay for those out of pocket. I was a contractor (many years ago) when I got my CompTIA and Microsoft certs so I paid for those out of pocket.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Really guys, I had to pay for ALL my certifications, this is killing me, wrong place for me.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    For me it all depends on the subject and whether its clearly related to my current job. Though I've always pointed out to my employers the fact that i'd self study which means indeed "only" founding books/study guides and the exam price wherever this was relevant and possible (almost always until now...)
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Reimbursed by my company if I pass.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    SilentwaySilentway Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My company will pay for related certifications and boot camps if the yearly budget allows however if I want a certification that doesn't really pertain to my current position then I must pay for it on my own.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can get reimbursed for self-study materials such as books but it has to be directly related to my duties. There is also a budget for training, which equates to one time a year < 5k. However, it does not include the certification fee. I also had a 5k a year tuition reimbursement for when I was taking college courses.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can get paid training, but the head of the dept doesn't want to pay for the certs themselves. For example, I'm getting a SANS course paid for but the cert at the end of the training wasn't included, if I want that I'll have to pay for it. They do have tuition reimbursement though, so really I could just sign up for a WGU masters and get a few certs out of that as part of the tuition, but if I wanted to take the CEH itself it would likely be shot down.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My company would reimburse me for exam fees with prior approval, but I've paid the last 2 out of pocket.
  • Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    I've paid for most of mine out of pocket.
    I'm working as a contractor and management has echoed that there is no money on the contract for training.
    My sponsoring company said they would re-imburse me with prior approval but haven't stepped up to re-imburse me so I gave up asking.
    Most companys have a caveat that if they do assist you with training or certs, you have to stay with the company for a certain length of time.
    If you leave before the time length has expired, they expect you to repay them.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Aside from the CEH/CHFI, I've done all my certs by myself. However that's changing as my company paid for my SANS SEC401 course and accompanying GSEC exam since I did the work study, and they reimburse 100% of exam/class costs for all related passed certs so I will definitely be taking advantage of that.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I am paying out of pocket for my Masters in IA and IS. I am also paying out of pocket for my CSSLP.

My employer is paying for my MCSE SQL DP, MCSD Web App, and TOGAF 1/2
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    My current employer will pay for certs and training. If you leave before 2 years, you're responsible for paying back half.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It all depends on the employer. Had one that reimbursed certs that were "needed" by the client. My current company I know pays for required certs and education.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I can get reimbursed for exam fees if I pass and can justify it in my job. Being in security this covers what I want. Training is all on my own. I also get my yearly maintenance fees for the required certs covered.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My employer doesn't pay for jack @#*#. Trying to work with HR to get some kind of education reimbursement right now. Think my company is pretty cheap though.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Always paid for my own certs but when your beginning your career the ROI can feel pretty steep! I like paying for my own certs and what not as I also like the idea not feeling beholden to anyone as well. But... that's just me.

Did I miss a comma? Hope not. If I did - just insert it and I won't tell! Really!

- b/eads
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    Always paid for my own certs but when your beginning your career the ROI can feel pretty steep! I like paying for my own certs and what not as I also like the idea not feeling beholden to anyone as well. But... that's just me.

Did I miss a comma? Hope not. If I did - just insert it and I won't tell! Really!

- b/eads

Best post EVER!! icon_smile.gif did you understand that?

I agree though I don't want to be tied to work in regards to Certs