Options

Port Forwarding with Xfinity Home Security System

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
Recently I purchased and and installed an Xfinity Home Security system. I wasn't home when the system was installed (wife was) and until now I really haven't thought about it.

Today I tried to VPN into my lab environment at home to stand up a L2L VPN between my lab and my study buddy's lab, but unfortunately I cannot access my ASA. I remember my wife telling me Comcast was tinkering around in my office to install the the security system. I gave her a call and asked her to send me pictures of what they installed and the significant cabling.

She sends me a photo that shows Xfinity had installed a NetGear wireless router between my cable modem and my ASA firewall. I call Xfinity to ask about this and the possibility of forwarding ports on their NetGear. They say simply, "No, it will interfere with the home security system." I hate arguing with Comcast, so I just said thanks and hung up.

I have googled the possibility of forwarding ports on this NetGear, but haven't found anything worth while.

I am toying with the idea of installing Xfinity's router in my DMZ, rather than in front of my firewall. Not sure if this will affect my ability to arm/disarm the system remotely or access my security cameras remotely. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if Xfinity gear initiates a tunnel to something? Or what ports must be forwarded for the home system to work properly?

I am going to attempt this tonight and open ports I see attempts to when using the remote app when I get home and post updates to what I find, but thought I would ask nonetheless.

Comments

• Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Successfully relocated Xfinity router into my DMZ. Only needed to communicate over NTP, DNS and XMPP outbound. Broadband and Cellular tests succeeded. Chat with Comcast shows no issues with the system since initial disconnect.