How long realistically does it take to study for CCENT?

jerry557jerry557 Member Posts: 26 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know everyone is different with this kind of stuff. I just recently passed Network+ and considering starting the Cisco route soon since networking concepts are still fresh. My ultimate goal would be to have a CCNA by the time I graduate next year. I think I have lots of time and won't have to cram. But how many months does it normally take to get a CCENT from someone at a Net+ level and not cramming it all in? Is it realistic to be able to pass ICND1 by this fall? Is that too short or too long?

I also may be able to get a hold of some equipment this summer pretty cheap. So I thinking about using that to play around with.

Anyway thanks for any opinions... Just trying to map out a plan.

Comments

• HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    How long did it take you to get your Network+?
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    2-4 months seems to be the average.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    If you push it hard, you could do it around 30 days. If you watch the CBT Nugget Series for ICND1, it will rapidly speed up the learning process. Keith does a great job in explaining sub-netting and uses crazy terms to help you memorize a great amount of stuff. He's also does the ICND2 video and CCNA security.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It all depends on your own background and how frequently you study. I had networking experience when I started, but didn't study every day. I already knew how to subnet, the OSI Model, etc...before I even started on ICND1. Someone starting from scratch (no networking at all) would have a lot more to learn.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends as well on the time you allow each day for study and the distractions you have. I find what hold me up the most is things that come up and derail my studying for a few days. Makes what should have taken 2 months take 3 or 4.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCENT will seem quite easier to you if you start reading CCNP books along with it. And don't forget about labs.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually suggest you gauge your own reading comprehension speed.

Lets say you read 10 pages of new technical material an hour. Now find your chosen resource and determine how many pages you need to read. Divide that by pages per hour to get the number of hours reading you will need to do. That gives you a starting point. Add or subtract as you see fit for skipping or repeating material.

i.e. 25 pages per hour. 900 pages of material. 900/25=36hrs of reading
  • therebeeyetherebeeye Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Considering your Net+ experience, if you really buckle down and study and practice regularly, you could pass the ICND1 in about 2-3 months, 4 if you need extra time. Physical equipment is always preferred to practice on but virtual tools like Packet Tracer or GNS3 will do just fine.
  • IggI_SupremeIggI_Supreme Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends on how bad do you want it because it only took me 3 weeks to study and pass the Exam but i was cramming( 4-5 ) hours a day studying. If you have Net+ you'll see the hardest thing on the test (for me at least) is going to be OSPF but once you get that down you'll be fine.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It depends on how bad do you want it because it only took me 3 weeks to study and pass the Exam but i was cramming( 4-5 ) hours a day studying. If you have Net+ you'll see the hardest thing on the test (for me at least) is going to be OSPF but once you get that down you'll be fine.

True, the theory overlap from N+ is very helpful.
    It's cool to learn what certain technologies are in N+. In Cisco, you are learning to configure those technologies.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Took me about 3 weeks. But I completed a Cisco Networking academy in High School and had a 2621XM and a 2950 running my home network. I'd recommend having some hands on experience with real gear if you can. My router and switch were just stacked up on my desk when I was studying so you should have room. Realistically I would say one to two months if you have Net+, you're a fast learner, and diligent with your studies.
  • xeruanxeruan Member Posts: 146 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I studied for a couple of hours a day for ~3.5 weeks before I took my exam using CBT Nuggets and the Wendell Odom book. If you studied every other day, or a few hours a week, I would think it could easily be done before the end of the summer.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    depends on you. Id say 1-4 months. Dont bother with the cisco classes offered by community colleges etc. I think its a waste of time, and requires you to learn way more then you really need. That could be a good thing too at the same time.

Get a Todd Lammel CCENT book, some CBT nugget videos and some practice tests, and a simulation program like Packet Tracer and you sir are set.