Options

How would you count "years of experience"? Is it any different for Federal jobs?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've always wondered what people personally thought counted as "years of experience", versus what an employer thinks it means.
For example: "5 years of professional IT experience"

Does this mean 5 full years of full time (40+ hour weeks) OR
5 years of working experience (for example including one or two part time gigs where you only worked 15-30 hour weeks)

I'm basically wondering if it means 5 full years worked or 5 years of having worked in the industry in some capacity. Does this differ with Federal jobs and how they quantify work experience?
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With the Feds, you use their application/resume system and for each position you've held you put down the hours per week that you were scheduled on average. So if you worked two years Part-Time 20hrs a week, that would be one 52-week 'year' of experience. This is very important to them. Their system works like a linear ladder and you have to demonstrate 52wks of proficiency at one level below the position you are applying for. I came in as a GS-9 and demonstrated at least 52wks of relevant work experience at the GS-7 level.