Options

Which is more valuable if you already have a Bachelors Degree?

Bradd78Bradd78 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Which would you consider more valuable from a hiring standpoint? I have a Bachelors Degree in a nonrelated field (Criminal Justice). I have a total of about 12 IT certifications from multiple vendors, including CompTIA, Microsoft and Citrix. I'm currently in pursuit of MCSE Server 2012. In your opinion, would you pursue a bachelors In Information Systems or would the certification be worth more in the long run? I thought about going back to school, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money/effort at this point. What do you all think? Also, just as a side note, I am 36 years old with 10 years help desk tier 1 and 2 and currently I'm in a consultant/Project manager role. My dream job has always been as a system administrator. At this point, I'm not sure how to get there.
Bradd Edmondson
Microsoft Certified Professional
Certified Computer Support Technician CompTIA A+ 2006, MCDST & MCSA 2003, Network + ,MOUS Master, Security +

Comments

• Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you already have a bachelors, I don't think you should waste time getting another one. Most times, all HR wants to see is a bachelors degree (doesn't really matter what field). You have several certifications that showcase your IT knowledge. I think the certification route will be more beneficial for you than getting another bachelors. If you do decide that you want to go back to school, I think you should go for a masters degree as that will be a better investment of your time and money.

I'm not sure about the system admin route as I don't have that much experience with it. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    I like Server Administration as well, though please note the pay is not the best (often times 60-70K even in major cities). IMO the MCSE 2012 is more valuable for Server Admin hands-down, Bachelor's might help in Management and even then maybe not.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree that it would probably be more worth your time to pursue a masters degree in IT if you wish to return to school. With a masters in IT, your bachelors degree won't really matter at that point.

Alternatively, you can leverage your experience, certs, and bachelors degree and land a sysadmin position. I don't think you should have any problems finding a job. I was personally able to leverage 2 years of technical support in a call center to land an entry-level sysadmin position with no certs and a high school diploma.

Perhaps your resume requires some attention? If you create a new thread and post your resume for review, I'm sure you will get plenty of good feedback from the forum members.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I concur, do not worry about the degree, if you go for the masters you will be OQ for admin positions.

That being said, are there many server admin positions left these days? Most of my experience has been that there are engineers, and then people who work a more general level of IT with some access to server.

Am I wrong?
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I have a Administration of Justice Degree from George Mason University. I have an MCSA 2012 certification. However, I have been an Windows SA for several years. Have you tried applying for jobs in the DC/VA area?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SaSkiller wrote: »
    That being said, are there many server admin positions left these days?

Sure, its just a title, less of the physical server work than VMs. Check systems admins/engineers.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can get a masters in like computer science and I would leave it there. That would be the best option of you wish to go back to school. If you have a MCSA and a bunch of others cert and have not hit admin with IT experience I don't know what to tell you. I can guess the technologies you support may not that advance.