Enroll in WGU for BS IT or go back to community college to get AAS in IT

SaltychipSaltychip Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'll try to keep this quick and concise but basically last year I went 1 semester to my local community college for IT program. I was going through some anxiety issues and pretty much dropped out after 1 week so it was like I was never there even though I accumulated a nice $1900 debt but thats a different story. The first semester was painfully boring teaching us how to use windows 7 and open up microsoft word documents after a week I was like yeah this is not worth my time and withdrew from classes.

I have a great passion for IT and specifically cyber security/ ethical hacking. Right now I dont know a whole lot about hacking and all that stuff but I do know I want to learn about it and programming in the future as well from a freelance perspective. Right now I'm stuck with a dilemma though and if I could get some insight that would be great.

These are my options right now to pursue my goals.

#1 - Get microsoft MTA windows OS certificate to pass pre req requirements for WGU enrollment and try to get into their BS, IT- Security program. While going fulltime WGU and trying to find some partime job at a local computer shop or something to help with bills.

#2 - Suck it up and go back to community college and finish the 2 year program AAS in IT, while trying to find a part time job. Once finished with AAS then enroll in WGU BS,IT - Security program.

The biggest thing right now is I'm not sure if going back for an AAS at community college is worth the 2 year time commitment or just to go straight to WGU classes for a BS.

my end goal would be to work for the DOD in cyber security or FBI,CIA in the future in IT department.

Hopefully this all sounds reasonable and not a pipe dream I'd love for your guys insight much appreciated :)

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With WGU you can accelerate your progress significantly. The faster you work and complete each course, the cheaper the total cost of the degree. If you think you'd be ok with the self-study, competency-based learning model, then I think it's a no-brainer.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)