Options

Microsoft Azure / Cloud computer help!!

rdzdubzrdzdubz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am currently working as a desktop support technician and I am finally at the point in my career where I believe it's time for me to move on to something different. I have done helpdesk support and Desktop support for over 5 combined years and now I have found that I am interested in cloud computing such as Microsoft Azure. Now, there isn't much on Microsoft Azure, but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on where I could start on learning about Azure for a beginner, such as myself?

I find videos and training on Microsoft Virtual Academy, youtube, but it seems like its for people who already have experience with Azure. Can anyone lead me in the right direction as to where to begin to learn about Azure? I've heard I should start learning about servers, but this is coming from folks who don't use or even know that much about Cloud computing.

Thanks for any help/advice!

**I meant to put cloud computing** in the subject line lol...

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Cloud Computing is a big topic. Let's break it down into simplified categories and then plan your course based on interest.

IaaS - Infrastructure as a Service. Server VMs hosted in the cloud
    PaaS - Platform as a Service. A development platform, or services that support applications like hosted database.
    SaaS - Software as a Service. A hosted application, like Exchange on Office 365.

Most cloud providers will include more than one service. The big ones like AWS, Azure, and Google have all 3 areas.

IaaS - Amazon practically invented this and AWS is far and away the biggest and most mature player. Microsoft Azure IaaS is only a couple of years old and is working to catch up, and the new management portal makes it easier to use. Although AWS is Linux focused, it hosts 10x the number of Windows servers Azure does. Both AWS and Microsoft now offer infrastructure or operation certs. Another option is the various OpenStack hosting providers, like RackSpace.

PaaS - Azure was PaaS when it was launched and it's great for developing Windows applications for the cloud. It's a mature offering and has certifications that have been around a few years. AWS and Google also has PaaS offerings, but Salesforce.com has a development platform too.

SaaS - Office 365 has Exchange and Sharepoint Online. Google Apps and the Amazon Work offerings, plus other platforms like Salesforce.

There are a list of cloud certifications in this thread

If you want to be a server admin, you need to be able to administer the server platform and the cloud platform. If you want to be an application admin, you need to know the application and the cloud platform. So Azure IaaS + Server MCSA or Office 365 + Exchange. If I were starting from scratch I would focus on Linux and AWS.