Options

They seem to be in every job... that one person...

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

So is it just me or is there always that one executive no matter where you go that is on a power-trip and must be just a arrogant person 24/7 because they themselves have a insecurity problem about something and since there a Exec they think they can walk all over everyone.

I left one company only to find secretly hidden there was another person just like my former boss at the new location. Am I alone or is this my personal curse?

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Common character in corporates. They come in varying degrees. Remember, they have as much power over you as you allow them to have. It's all in our mind really. (Easier said than done I know, but that's how I handle this kind, I do whatever the hell I want, whenever I want to).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A good perspective on this is the neuroscience of confirmation basis: List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm reading this textbook right now: Principles of Neural Science by Eric R. Kandel

Be especially careful of the fundamental attribution, but also be aware that knowing about biases can hurt you: Knowing About Biases Can Hurt People - Less Wrong
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm experiencing the same thing....

I just remember this.... they have the power in the company/organization but they don't outside the company.
    We're all human, one person can be here today but gone tomorrow.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, not at all they are everywhere. It's a personality type that you have to get used to working with. At least I had too, but to your point its never fun and they always exist.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So is it just me or is there always that one executive no matter where you go that is on a power-trip and must be just a arrogant person 24/7 because they themselves have a insecurity problem about something and since there a Exec they think they can walk all over everyone.

I left one company only to find secretly hidden there was another person just like my former boss at the new location. Am I alone or is this my personal curse?

So the executive is a bully. There are a few people who try to do the same things at my workplace, but I don't back down when they start to be offensive. People who are trying to prey on others are actually cowards and once you stand up to them, they'll either avoid you or stop trying to mess with you. It was true when I was in the military and the same in the civilian workforce; you're going to deal with this sort of thing everywhere you go. Stay professional and stand by your decisions.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My Boss was like this, until oneday I stood my ground and pointed out he was in the wrong. We had a massive argument but I stood my ground didn't back down. He was getting red with anger and everything :)

Anyways morale of the story he never tried to confront me again, My way of dealing with these types? give them a mickey mouse voice in your head. tell yourself they are not better than you and if they try and lay down the law, give them hell back :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "