Options

ِadvise What next after MCSE?!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    nster wrote: »
    Yea I agree that IT is a good place to be in right now and it is easier to live comfortably in IT than in many fields.

Still, people who have a philosophy similar to Phil's might prefer a 120K salary with a boring job than a 80K salary with a great job simply because of the way they view things. I think what I'm trying to say is that in practice, it really depends on the person. Some people's thresholds are simply much higher. If I were 40 yo and at the top of my game, but the IT market wasn't as good etc, I'd probably rather take a 75-80K job that's boring or meh, than a 55-60K that was awesome

Of curse, right now, since I am still learning, I would take a 29K job that teaches me a bunch over a 60K job that sucks and doesn't bring me towards my goals.

For a lot of people, living comfortably comparatively to others is simply not enough, and they have their own definition of what comfortable is

Lol boring job, have you looked at my LinkedIn profile. I have one of the most diverse jobs you'll probably ever see.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the work for x to be happy instead of working for x+ 50% and being unhappy. Why not find a way to make x+ 100% and still be happy?

I guess its a different mentality.

As for the professor salary question. Thats a whole nother story to un pack I'm slightly obsessive about learning and a professorship would allow me to do that. In the mean time its all about building up the dollars. I'm fiscally motivated probably why I am in an sales and not ops role.

We will just have to agree to disagree on motivations for work and pay.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I think it depends on what city you live in as to what job constitutes a 6 figure salary.
    If you live in Alabama and make $50k a year you are probably better off than someone making $100k a year in New York.

In Australia $100k is a pretty standard wage in IT for someone with experience, even a higher level Desktop Support person can earn $100k, but that money does not go far at all because the cost of living if ridiculously high.

All I am saying is that it is all relative.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Lol boring job, have you looked at my LinkedIn profile. I have one of the most diverse jobs you'll probably ever see.

Nono I'm not saying YOUR job is boring, you probably have the skills (and the job field) that lets you have both. I agree that we probably have different mentalities and motivations, and I think situations also make a huge difference (family vs not etc). What I was trying to say is that I would put an insane amount of value in the work environment. A slight improvement in work environment would easily be worth a 25% paycut if the final salary gives me "enough". Different philosophies can lead to people not understanding the other's point of vue, everyone is on a different scale for how they value the money.
    LaithArar wrote: »
    I do have interests in networking and security as well, i did self-study CCNA and CEH also i play around with linux servers.
    so i guess i may go for 2 more MCSE and CCNA security maybe. beside i am into virtualization.

Networking and Security are pretty big fields on their own. Having a CCNA or CCNA Security is good to show you have knowledge of Networking and having a bit of Security is nice too, but I think it terms of value, MCSE and VCP-DCV are the ones that are going to get you jobs and money. If you are willing to go deeper in Network and/or Security and have your role change, than you have a lot of possibilities open to you of course
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I also think the type of role you are working on or towards is a big factor as well. Doing something you are not good at can hurt, even if you get 20 k bump, so I agree that money isn't everything, but..... It's a lot. I'll put it this way, if I wasn't getting paid I wouldn't go to work.

I'm a less is more guy in regards to certifications, I believe skills and knowledge is the real key to success. Of course the emotional intelligence piece is key as well. Managing your moods and your relationships is huge.