Unmanaged Cisco Switch Question

jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a Catalyst 3750 24 port switch. I'm using some cheap 8 port switch that I just connect to a managed Cisco network and everything works fine. I was under the impression that if I set the Catalyst to factory defaults it would just work like the cheap switch but that is not the case. Is there any way to make this happen? I need more ports for computers in this room. I've already restored the Catalyst to factory defaults and removed the previously configured Vlans but it will not pass traffic like the 8 ports switch.

Comments

• mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    Is the 8 port a switch or a hub?
    When you connected the cisco 3750 to the managed network did you create a trunk port?
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I was able to get one of mine working like a simple switch the other day, My 24 port 2950G, I simply plugged a cat cable from my internet router into port one and plugged a bunch of computers and network items into it and works like a charm.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mjsinhsv wrote: »
    Is the 8 port a switch or a hub?
    When you connected the cisco 3750 to the managed network did you create a trunk port?

It is a Freedom unmanaged or "dumb" switch. I did not create a trunk port... from my minimum study for CCENT I was under the assumption a Cisco switch would work right out of the box like I am wanting to do here. Just did the Factory Default restore on the switch and then deleted the VLAN configs like the instructions on Cisco's website.
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    I was able to get one of mine working like a simple switch the other day, My 24 port 2950G, I simply plugged a cat cable from my internet router into port one and plugged a bunch of computers and network items into it and works like a charm.

I plugged in a cat 5 cable from the corporate network into my switch (tried various ports) and it blinks orange on my switch's side and green on the network switch's side. The clients cannot get DHCP information.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Lots of thigns it could be (STP comes to mind), which can be hard to tell without actually logging in and confirming.

Just out of curiousity, any reason you don't get rid of the 8 port switch and just plug everything into the 3750? Though, for regular home use, a 3750 is rather loud and large, particularly if you're just using a single VLAN, no management, etc.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do in order on the 3750 first and report back.

Switch>enSwitch#erase startup-config
    Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]
    [OK]
    Erase of nvram: complete
    %SYS-7-NV_BLOCK_INIT: Initialized the geometry of nvram
    Switch#delete vlan.dat
    Delete filename [vlan.dat]?
    Delete flash:/vlan.dat? [confirm]
    Switch#erase startup-config
    Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]r
    Switch#
    Switch#reload
    Proceed with reload? [confirm]
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it a gig switch? Did you use a crossover or straight-through cable?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    joelsfood wrote: »
    Lots of thigns it could be (STP comes to mind), which can be hard to tell without actually logging in and confirming.

Just out of curiousity, any reason you don't get rid of the 8 port switch and just plug everything into the 3750? Though, for regular home use, a 3750 is rather loud and large, particularly if you're just using a single VLAN, no management, etc.

I am wanting to get rid of the 8 port. Just can't get the 24 port to work on the corporate LAN by plugging it into the wall port like I did with the 8 port.
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    Do in order on the 3750 first and report back.

Switch>enSwitch#erase startup-config
    Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]
    [OK]
    Erase of nvram: complete
    %SYS-7-NV_BLOCK_INIT: Initialized the geometry of nvram
    Switch#delete vlan.dat
    Delete filename [vlan.dat]?
    Delete flash:/vlan.dat? [confirm]
    Switch#erase startup-config
    Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]r
    Switch#
    Switch#reload
    Proceed with reload? [confirm]

I did this yesterday thinking I would be able to just plug in the switch afterward to the LAN and it would pass traffic as the unmanaged 8 port switch did.
    Priston wrote: »
    Is it a gig switch? Did you use a crossover or straight-through cable?

It is not a 10/100 switch and I am using a regular CAT 6 cable.. no crossover. Thanks all!

Am I wrong to think with the default factory setup it would work and pass traffic like the cheap unmanaged switch did without any special configuration?
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Yes. If the engineer did their job, your switch won't just work. Disable spanning-tree, make all the interfaces static access ports or turn off auto negotiation, and it should work like a 'dumb' switch. This is assuming there's no limit on learned MAC addresses on the interface.

From what your describing with the lights, it sounds like it may be trying to negotiate a trunk and having a native VLAN mismatch. Network side=VLAN X and your side VLAN 1.

What you should do is contact whomever manages the network and have them add the switch to the network and configure it for remote management.

EDIT: It only take a few seconds of looped broadcast traffic to spike CPUs and before you know it the network is down.
  • MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you were going to give the network engineer a rogue switch problem that would cause spanning tree problems if they did not use BPDUguard.
    So I guess this will not work with the default factory configuration unless I do some configuring on my end.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I wouldn't try using it at all without some help/approval from networking. I'd missed in your first post. Depending on where you work, I've seen that as an infraction (hooking up unauthorized network equpiment) that can end up with you talking to HR.
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    It's called a "Resume Generating Oportunity". icon_cool.gif