Options

Passed (First Attempt) 4/9/2015

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Can't believe it!!! Studied for about 54 days and today I conquered the exam. Have to say I was pretty nervous and the only comfort I had was that everyone said that you'll never feel prepared. I used the following:

1. Cybrary Videos - these were probably the best resource
2. ISC2 Official CBK Guide - read it all and my buddy had notes in it from his course so I reviewed those
3. 11th Hour - I read this first and then started with the guide
4. Transcender

The second biggest help was Transcender. The questions were decent (some didn't belong on there), but at least you get a feel for the exam. Two days in a row I did 250 questions to get a feel for how the test would go. The hardest part was getting out of the technical mindframe and into the ISC2/Management mindframe.

My only real complaint is the fact that they don't tell you if you passed on your computer screen. Every other certification I have taken in the past had. So when I saw the box that said "go and collect your score report" I thought welp I failed. Only to get there and see "Congratulations!"

Good luck to everyone taking it soon...it truly is a beast!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Congrats, Grinch!

I think I'm up next, scheduled for Saturday morning. Any advice?
  • Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    Congratulations Grinchy.

I wondered why they don't give you the results on the screen too.
    Maybe they don't want people to make a scene in testing room and disrupt other folks who are still testing.

I couldn't bare to look at the report when the proctor handed it to me.
    I folded it up and put it in my pocket and drove home.
    Didn't look at it until I got home.

If I had failed again, I may have blown a fuse and cussed out everyone at the testing center. ;)
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol I had the same reaction. Soon as I hit submit I buried my face in my hands and peaked through my fingers. Got upset and dejected when I saw it said to pick it up. I walked out and before I could say anything the guy says "it says congratulations so that must be good." I actually got pissed for a split second that he did that but it was washed away with relief and excitement.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    Khaos1911 - Get a good nights rest for sure. I studied for a half hour before the test, which I don't think hurt, but I'm not exactly sure it helped either. Definitely do at least 500 questions before your exam. I know there are mixed reviews and as I disclaimer I didn't look at CCCUre, but I felt Transcender was right on the money. Some of the questions are dated and really don't apply, but the explanations help get you in the right mind frame. Finally, remember, think high level and like a manager. Think to technically and you will have issues.

mjsinhsv - Thanks! Yeah I resigned myself to not taking the test again if I failed. I was testing with about 8 other people doing God knows what and was thinking if I fail they will see the mental breakdown that I have. Worst of all, they checked my ID before handing me the report and didn't read it. So I looked at it and was like "oh I passed haha".
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gz and welcome to the club!

I feel your joy and relief, man
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats well done.
  • Options
    RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! That is awesome!

If you don't mind sharing, how were you averaging on Transcender? Some claim it's "harder", ad some claim it instills a false sense of security.

Congrats again!
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Will have to check out the Cybrary vids.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    Honestly, I got a 66% on the first Transcender and a 71% on the second. But, it's not exactly a great judge in my opinion. I got a bunch of questions that related directly to Windows technology. Such as what log on a Windows machine would you look at to see this or that? So I would use it more as a guide to see the areas you need to work on.

So use it to see how you should think about questions and know what areas you need to work on. Do it that way and you will be good to go!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    rickberrrickberr Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the candid feedback. I've done about 15 different 50 question quizzes on Transcender, in addition to 1 125 question one, and I'm averaging 72% overall-- so it sounds about the same. I agree, though: the Linux and Windows based questions are pretty annoying.

I just started watching the videos you shared. Thanks a bunch! These are pretty legit.

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • Options
    No worries! I think you are definitely solid. The videos are really awesome. Kelly explains things in such a manner that it gets you thinking the right way and she doesn't overload you with information. Everything is testable, but being weighted somethings are definitely more important for you to focus on then others. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Congratulations that's amazing icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Congrats! Huge believer in Transcender as well helping me pass my CISSP on the first attempt. Anyone that is using it as just another "testing resource," is using it in the wrong fashion. The real power is that when you review your wrong answers, it gives you the web URL, NIST standard or AIO page number from where the question came from. This allows you to quickly build a "re-factored" study guide to drill into the weak areas. Same thing with StudiScope, I used it to build a good SWOT chart to drill into my weaker areas. Glad to see another Transcender success story!
  • Options
    Submitted all my paperwork, now the wait begins!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    It's official! I am now a CISSP! Got my approval email about 20 minutes ago!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Oh, man! That is awesome. Congrats!

I submitted my endorsement on April 17th, and ISC2 acknowledged receipt on April 20th! *fingers crossed that I'm only a few days behind you!*

• Options
    barhate.rahulbarhate.rahul Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Stuart ClowesStuart Clowes Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very well done!